Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Donk kinda noise as i pull away

only when i pull away quickly, i get a noise like "donk" nearly like "clonk" but more donky.

seeems to be from passenger side front kinda area, have checked out most things and all seems nice and tight.

could it be something to do with driveshafts? do driveshaft affect handling?

i'm hoping this is something to do with the instabilty of the car and dodgy steering i've been having

is really fecking me off now :x

strangelt mine has just started doing the exact same thing you describe . . . be interesting to see what it is. Mine has had new wishbone bushes, ball joints, shocks, springs, top mounts and ive checked them all for tightness.

When i had a similar knock before it turned out to be one of the rear caliper carrier bolts had come loose, but that was a different sound and you could hear it on bumps and whenever you touched the brake pedal. This clunk is only when pulling away ...

i think it might be an engine mount on its way out tbh, in which case it dont matter as its getting a new engine soon woo :D

i have replaced the TRE's & balljoints already, the thing is i don't know if they could be knackered again due to something else being not right, but there isn't much left that i know of to change

i have replaced the TRE's & balljoints already, the thing is i don't know if they could be knackered again due to something else being not right, but there isn't much left that i know of to change

i doubt that they would be knackered so soon if they were vag items (think they are on yours, remember seeing the huge invoice hehe) as they are joints designed to accomodate movement so even if somethings not aligned right it shouldnt make any difference. A mate of mine whos a VW tech had the similar symptoms recently on his mk4 passat and turned out to be the front engine mount.

yes, it was a large bill :lol: thats why i'm still a bit miffed its not driving as well as i thought, am sure there is something wrong.

even turning into tightish bends at about 30mph it feels odd to me, like the car is pitched at a funny angle and the loads feel a bit all over the place to me, its just not "planted" on the road.

i could type an essay trying to describe all the weird sensations.

its could well be an engine mount or gearbox mount causing it all, but my mind is all over the place thinking its lots of things, which is why i ended up with a big bill before as i convienced myself it all needed replacing :lol:

i think this weekend ill take everything out of car and experiment, try to find exactly where the noise is. I'm sure it isn't my drinks bottle rolling back and forth on the passenger side tray :?

sorry i just msn'ed him to check, it was the front mount that he replaced. said it was pretty easy to do- put a jack under the sump with a bit of wood to spead the load, undo the bolts on the mount and jack the engine up and fit the new one.

You could change the rear gearbox mount for a deisel golf unit, mine was shot on the vr, and replacing it made a huuuuge difference to handling. Does it have any gunk around it?

Is the rear wishbone bolt nice and tight too??

where is the rear wishbone?

the bolt at bottom of strut?

It's the rear of the 2 joints where the wishbone bolts to the rear subframe, a 19(?)mm bolt goes straight up through it, there's 2 smaller (17??s) holding the subframe to the car just behind it. if you jack the car up you should be able to see it with the wheel still in place.

Ive had the exact same noise and strange feel on my G60, just after replacing all the wishbones, ball joints, TRE's and ARB drop links. Dodgy steering, understeer and oversteer, not to mention that lovely 'wandering' feeling you get when the road contours change.

Turns out one of my ball joints was loose on the wishbone - one of the 3 bolts that hold the BJ to the wishbone was missing! The second bolt was loose and the third was on the way.

I found with aftermarket parts, especially my ball joints - the bolts tend to be quite soft and the threads seem to shear quickly.

After loosening the bolts, pulling the bottom of the wheel away from the car (nice positive camber :D) and tightening new bolts back in, the car feels fully poised once again. Just remember if you adjust the camber here your tracking will be out.

The other day I drove over some rough road quite fast and the now same thing is beginning to happen again. The 3 ball joint bolts seem to be working themselves loose - they definitely need some Loctite!

Awesome when you renew some parts on your car and it ends up worse then before you began!

i used to have the same donk noise from the nearside front when i pulled away, i checked everything, untill one of the guy's at work noticed the nearside driveshaft had a tiny bit of play in it whilst it was on the 2-poster, i stripped it off, and.........bits fell out all over the place, replaced the shaft, and..........no more donking.. :D ,

hope this helps

steve

You're sure it's not the ABS self-test that happens from ignition-on when you reach 10kph...? (But won't happen again till you stop the engine and restart it.)

:thumbleft: so thats what the slight vibration I feel through the clutch when pulling away after starting the car is!! :D

Have been wondering for almost two years now! :lol:

it does it more than once on a journey, but not all the time, its strange, very slight niggle now as everything else as gone tits up on mine :lol: