Sign in to follow this  
JT

HT - leads mmm!!!!

hey guys and girls,

i ve got to replace the ht leads soon there ok but have been advised there not at there best where and what do you guys recommend for a 93 vr6 completely standard bar a K&N and full magnex cat bypass any help would be great :D

Blue igniters :lol:

C&R Enterprises in Nottingham are the UK importer. Lifetime guarantee, what more can I say?

Other good ones are Magnecor, Nology, Splitfire, VW's own (under Quantum brand now I believe - but these aren't anywhere near as good as the original red Beru leads).

Avoid G&S ones, they're cr@p. Spend the extra on good ones and fit-and-forget.

Also, if you go over 7mm cable diameter, they won't fit in the cable tidies.

Kev

cheers buddy off the top of your head do you know what a reasonable set cost e.g the blue igniters :?: also i don't want to go over 7mm so what would you recommend :?:

Blue Igniters are 7mm anyway, so no fitment issues. They also use Factory ends on each wire for a quality fit/finish.

Here are the prices and C&R's order codes:-

ILSBIVR6ND

VR6 models (distributor-less ignition system)

£69.95

ILSBIVR6WD

VR6 models (with distributor type ignition system)

£82.50

As for reasonable sets, I think even VW's quantum ones are £60ish and the G&S substandard ones are £54, so you're better off paying a smidgen more for the BIs to be honest.

Cheers

Kev

Blue igniters are sh1te. I know 2 people who've had them on the VR6 and one lad with a G60 and they've caused nothing but trouble. They are poorly made too and fall to bits unless you treat them with kid gloves.

Genuine VAG all the way.

Oh whoopy do, 2 people have had problems, therefore they're sh1te overall. Just about everybody has a problem with their Corrado, does that mean Corrados are sh1te aswell?

Not had any problems at all with mine and I've using them for years, and as I said, they're guaranteed for life, so only takes an SAE to send em back and get fresh set if they break.

The VAG ones are no longer the nice red Beru bonded ones, they're naff old Quantum things, barely any better than G&S ones which come apart in your hands.

You get what you pay for with HT & LT leads. buy the best you can afford, and if you are worried about them not fitting into the guides then buy no bigger than 7mm.

From my experience of life time guarentee's waste of time after twelve months as the Life time bit means what it is. when its worn out its the end of its life time.

Take a zorst for instance, if is rusts through as most do, thats its lifetime. Life time guarentees normally only cover bad workmenship or manufacturing defects that could show up at anytime.

Ehhh ???? - surely a lifetime garantee applies to the purchaser of the product or at least means the lifetime of the car its fitted to!!

Precisely. I've read the disclaimer of my BI leads and if they ever malfunction, no matter how old they get, they will be replaced FOC, no questions asked.

K

so basically your saying a lifetime guarantee means that every time it wears out you get a new one!! :lol: can i have some tyres with a lifetime guarantee then please, and a whole car while im at it. read the small print

I've read the disclaimer of my BI leads and if they ever malfunction, no matter how old they get, they will be replaced FOC, no questions asked.

K

Any chance of scanning a copy & posting it on here - my leads r gonna need replacing soon. Not sure which ones to get.

cheers

Nigel...

A lifetime guarantee on some HT leads is not that far fetched. If they are well made enough, I am sure HT leads could outlive the average engine..

They are not exactly a regularly replaced part of a car - my Corrado had its original VW HT leads from what I can gather until I changed em at 86,000 miles.. but by then they were cracked and generally pretty knackered.

so basically your saying a lifetime guarantee means that every time it wears out you get a new one!! can i have some tyres with a lifetime guarantee then please, and a whole car while im at it. read the small print

And that is why you don't get tyres with a lifetime guarantee!! yet my Powerflow stainless steel exhaust system does as its well built and not expected to rust or wear out.

you can get a lifetime guarantee with tyres,theres a tyre seller by me that offers it,if your tyre gets punctured,damaged in anyway they will replace it

so basically your saying a lifetime guarantee means that every time it wears out you get a new one!! :lol: can i have some tyres with a lifetime guarantee then please, and a whole car while im at it. read the small print

Don't be a plum. Everybody knows tyres, exhausts etc are wear items.

HT leads either conduct electricity or they don't. They don't 'wear out'!

Stevemac, haven't got a scanner, the cat knocked it off the shelf and smashed the glass, but just for you....I'll type out the pertinent bits. As for replacements, try some Magnecor. Pretty good.

And I quote "Blue igniter wire sets are warranted for as long as you own your car, van, or light truck. If, during ownership of your car, van or light truck, the Blue igniter wire set becomes defective, it will be replaced by your participating blue igniter supplier (C&R enterprises), upon presentation of this warranty claim form, original proof of purchase and product being warranted (the leads).

This limited warranty does not cover:

- Wire sets that have been subjected to misuse, rodent damage (LOL), accident, or improper installation, maintanence or application.

- Wire sets installed on a car, van or light truck used for commercial purposes in excess of 8,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (???)."

Ta

Kev

you can get a lifetime guarantee with tyres,theres a tyre seller by me that offers it,if your tyre gets punctured,damaged in anyway they will replace it

Same scheme as I used to market at Mercedes a few years ago.

I think you'll find that any/all of the tyres will only be replaced once. It is a form of tyre insurance which is run by a seperate company & not the tyre seller. Once the tyres reach the end of their lifespan i.e. illegal tread depth, this scheme becomes void & will not provide you with a replacement tyre/tyres.

i thought blue ignitors were over £100! last i saw they retailed at about £120...

How much for the 16v engine ones?? £60 is good for me! :lol:

i thought blue ignitors were over £100! last i saw they retailed at about £120...

How much for the 16v engine ones?? £60 is good for me!

The 16v ones are over £120, obviously the VR6 ones are cheaper and 8v cheaper still... have a look on the C&R website.

yeah, but they'll replace em if they wear out

Same with say Scorpion exhausts. my mates one fell off his car after a a few years. sent him up a replacement ASAP.

kevhaywire - cheers Kev, do you know of any cheap(ish) places to get Magnecor leads from ??

Been looking for a set of these myself cheapest I can come up with are

http://www.mjdesignsuk.com/magnecore.html

Few sites dont advertise G60's (surprise surprise) so waiting for a few emails back.

Volkswagen Golf GTi G60/Rallye 1.8 supercharged 8mm £47.73 8.5mm £56.99

HTH

your friendly local VW dealer will do you a set of quantum(VW's-own brand)plug leads for the VR6 for just under £60 the set(for both coil-pack and dizzy ones).........but they might also try and sell you them individually at approx £17.50 per lead........so best thing to do is go for the Quantum set.......also its wise to invest in the proper "Hazet" plug lead removal tool which is approx £16-£17 from the dealer too........if you still have the original plastic plug lead removal tool this is next to useless IMHO especially for trying to put the leads back on :wink:

I'm using some 8mm Lumenition leads. They seem better than my old bosch ones. I chose Lumenition over all the other makes because they make full competition ignition systems so I thought they must know what there doing. Check out your Demon Tweaks catalogue for Lumenition products.