Sign in to follow this  
jimgfc

Water leak on 93 valver - can anyone help...?

Hi, just posted my first message on the Corrado Spotting topic...

Sad to have to ask a technical question with my second ever message on the C-net forum (am sometimes over on the gsf forum)... it's the water light on the dash of my 1993 2.0 16v.

It keeps flashing now (and I also have to top up the exp tank about twice a month) - despite having changed the hoses, the T flange, the expansion tank cap and a computer diagnostic was done by a friendly garage here in Maidstone.

So: it's unlikely to be related to the fanbelt issue I had on Tuesday (see prior topic) - as problem was prevalent before then; and it's still persisting. Having done all the stuff I've mentioned, I can only assume a slow but persistent leak either via the expansion tank's escape valve (if that's what I think it is) or a faulty water pump/seal.

And yes, I did check for 'mayo' on the oil cap and the filler - it looks fine.

Also, the water temp gauge is dead too - but think that's an electrical issue/part failure and not related to the actual water escaping... just needs a new switch or sender I guess. Am keeping an eye on engine oil temp - by turning the LED readout on. Let me know if there's any possible culprit/cause I've overlooked, cheers...

Has anybody experienced any problems like this, and any solutions out there...? Hope you guys can help - can offer nothing but eternal gratitude 8)

favourite places for the water to escape are as you've said, water outlet flange on front of head and the expansion tank cap. tank itself can crack and leak.

Usually a leak from a hose or joint in the system shows up as crystallised anti-freeze even if it evaporates too fast to see when the engine is hot.

do you get steam on the inside of the screen? that might indicate the heater matrix, but you'd almost certainly smell antifreeze inside the car.

The temperature switch on the bottom of the radiator, nr the battery can leak, especially if the radiators are pattern ones or the rad has been changed and the washer not replaced.

the metal water pipe running down the gearbox side of the engine can corrode badly and you could get a leak from the headgasket into the cylinder without the water entering the oilways but you'd get plenty of white smoke from the exhaust. the oil cooler (heat exchanger) can also corrode on the water pipe connections and leak from those hoses.

Water pumps tend to go very rattly before they actually leak.

It's possible the radiator is cracked/holed somwhere too, you really need to clean up all the water pipework joints and keep an eye out for that antifreeze residue, the red G12+ coolant can be good here as it stains well when it leaks showing up the problems better than blue/green antifreeze.

Hi, thanks for replying. Red coolant - that's interesting, where's it available from? Never really thought about that TBH!

You mentioned a 'rattle' if the water pump was on its way out - that's interesting as the guy who was doing the diagnostic said he could hear a rattly sound... Don't think you get that with head gaskets?

I can't hear it myself as I'm one of that minority of people who happen to be deaf. Great at lipreading, but lousy at listening to engines. (I can hear a bit, but not enough to make informed decisions...)

Right. That is IT. I'm going to see a couple of garages tomorrow and tell one of them to fc@king sort it out.

Excuse my German...

J

Also, don't discount the focal point for all the coolant - the radiator! Mine had sprung a leak on the front but was hidden behind the front grille.. it wasn't till we took the front off that we could see a great big pink beard from the G12+ coolant.

Speaking of G12+, you can get it from your local VW dealership! It comes in 1 litre bottles and you'll know its the right stuff - its neon pink with a hint of yellow in it when the light catches it :)

Hi Jim - I'm Jim ;)

>>Speaking of G12+, you can get it from your local VW dealership! It comes in 1 litre bottles and you'll know its the right stuff - its neon pink with a hint of yellow in it when the light catches it

Damn - the Rado is a fetching dark blue - don't you think the G12+, lovely as it sounds, might clash with the colour scheme...? :D

Seriously, I'd never thought about the FRONT of the radiator. I'll have a look for water deposits there and do a wipe-down with newspaper etc underneath the engine bay - if the garage can't pin cause down quickly enough tomorrow. And there's the G12...

Cheers for that though, Jim!

J

The plot thickens (and my wallet could be going on a diet)...

Took the Rado round to two garages, explaining the problem; on each occasion they looked with a fine tooth comb around the engine bay and checked the carpeting in the footwells (for heater leaks etc.) Not a single drop of water leaking ANYWHERE, even in the front of the radiator - I checked by removing the grille!

Damn. Would make life a lot easier.

So, to recap: the car's slowly losing water from expansion tank in such a way that I have to top it up two or three times a month. The engine and heater (plus the water pump) are not leaking. There is no 'mayo' in the oil cap or filler neck. The exhaust is not emitting ANYTHING other than clear gas on startup and normal running mode; ie no steam, white smoke, blue smoke or grey smoke - just clear gas.

It doesn't seem to be running rough; I'd normally give up at this point and get the cylinder head checked out (expensive I know!) but for the two factors - the lack of 'mayo' which is not ALWAYS a symptom as you will know, but there isn't any telltale steam/white smoke from exhaust either.

Obviously the garages have a vested interest in checking out the cylinder head, it would pay their overheads/wages for the day :-( so I'm turning to you guys once more...!

Is there anything else I've forgotten/missed out before I start climbing the walls?

Plus, if any of you know of a decent and good-value mechanic in the mid Kent area I'd be grateful to hear from you. Or even somebody who can do work on the 16v lump in exchange for my expertise as a graphic designer/illustrator for any project/logo work of theirs.

Look forward to any feedback, many thanks

J

Get a cardboard box flatten it, when you park up at night - slide it under your engine and have a look in the morning. If there are any leaks you should see the marks on the box. Its an old trick but works a treat.

Have put clean cardboard down under radiator (most likely place if anything) - let's hope it doesn't blow away.

cheers, anything's worth a try. newspaper overnight would've been useless