Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

Spoiler Problem, On the Way down it sticks on one side????

Hi Guys,

Had a look through search, but couldn't find a similar prob to mine!

My spoiler will go up fine, but when it comes to retract, only the drivers side moves down until it's about 1/2 down and then the other side drops!

I checked the allen bolts and they are tight! Thought it might be rubbing on the seal, so sprayed WD40 on it, but it didn't help!

When the spolier is up it is solid, but if you manually retract it, stop 1/2 way. You can move the sticking side up and down, like it's not connected to the mechanisms????

Does that make any sense?? How easy are the spoiler mechs to get to?? Any ideas what it could be and is it any easy fix??

Cheers

Steve.

don't use wd40 or grease , as this will just allow dust to stick and make it even worse , what vw would do is use graphite power , i had a sticking problem used a soft pencil on the shaft then rubbed off the surplus with a rag never had a problem since

Rob

It's not rubbing, it although the spoiler bit where the allen key bolt is, is not connected to the mechanism inside!

It's not rubbing, it although the spoiler bit where the allen key bolt is, is not connected to the mechanism inside!

That could well be the case. The plastic tubes you see on the outside are clipped around the cables that move up and down. Could be that's snapped off inside, but the only way to fix it is a new plastic tube and take the whole mech apart...

never heard of one side breaking before , but just think how many times it been up and down :D a quick test would be remove the spoiler atogether and see if both sides move on they own , would be easier to replace the whole unit with a second hand one than trying to repair yours i think

rob

I'd agree with carpy on the replacing it bit.

Thing is, taking the grub screws out of the posts just lets you take the actual spoiler off, it won't show you what's going on inside the mech. I guess it would confirm your theory that it's loose inside though.

so to remove the spoiler i just undo the allen bolts that are at the back???

how easy is it totake the rest of the mech out??

Not particularly difficult, just time consuming. The mechanism is tightly interlinked in the with rear lock, and rear wash system. Plenty of knuckle scraping and head scratching, and should take about an hour to take out. The hardest bit is the screws into the captive nuts (you'll know what I mean when you get to it). Those nuts have a habit of breaking the plastic they are set in as VW used threadlock on the screws.

Had a play tonight!

Took the spoiler off and the tubes that it bolts into are loose on one side! Goes up but not down, like the wires are not connected!

To fix it looks like I'd have to take the mech out just to get at it! I which case as Carpy Says I might aswell put in a whole new mech :(

Ah well......Anyone know of any going????

The only time I have actually seen a mech fail is where the plastic tube (goes up to guide the spolier) cracks and the metal cable guide pops out on one side - may be fixable with a cable tie but if not it's new mech time...