Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

What denotes an "early" valver

Went, with a mate, to look at a "repairable" front-ended valver yesterday on a G-plate as a project... The owner didn't turn up, so no sight of the V5 to seee when first registered...

Had "analog" clocks and Vinyl backed seats.. so i guess it's a pretty early one?

Anything else as stand-out early-only Valver parts I should be looking for?

Generally 1.8's are talked of as early I think, so that's anything on an F,G,H or J plate

Although really early would be an F or 1989 G I guess

Never seen vinyl backed seats at all but the F, G and most H plate cars only came with leccy windows as a dealer fit bodge (permanently live wired aftermarket motors, not VW bits) and had a cable drive speedo from the gearbox with analogue mileometer

Early 16v's also had a fixed height steering column and no sunroof although quite a few had them as options,especially the roof.

Late H and J plate valvers had the digital mileometer and from what I've seen the factory fitted electric windows with one touch operation.

My November 1990 H plate has an analogue dash, cable speedo drive, did have dealer fitted rubbish electric windows, but a factory roof and adj steering column.

If its a very early one there wont be a Karman badge on the gear surround, it will just be smooth, if you look on the inside of that chances are the part numbers will be hand written. It will have the vinyl seat backs, no plastic surrounds on the seat bases and a 3 panel leather gear knob rather than a 4 like the late ones..

So you went to view a true poverty spec then.

Aye wasn't quite Rallye spec, had a electric sunroof, but keep-fit windows....

It's not too bad and we're thinking of doing it as a quick project, but I'm not sure the markets there for Early valvers at the moment. In a few years maybe...

F, G and most H plate cars only came with leccy windows as a dealer fit bodge (permanently live wired aftermarket motors, not VW bits)

I've had quite a few G reg valvers over the years and had the doorcards off all of them! I've only ever seen one that didn't have O.E electric windows!

I think my H reg valver is one of the better specced ones available. Factory fitted leccy windows, electric wing mirrors, electric sunroof, adjustable steering column.

Tooled up early valvers FTW :D

I think my H reg valver is one of the better specced ones available. Factory fitted leccy windows, electric wing mirrors, electric sunroof, adjustable steering column.

Tooled up early valvers FTW :D

I though the electric windows went 'factory' on the valvers after a year or so of retail in the UK (early 91).

The vinyl backed seats are very interesting, especially if they have not been retrimmed, the only other cars with vinyl backed seats were the press cars that I am aware of.

Early valvers dont make more money as they are early but they do have some other different parts. If you look at the seal on the drivers and passenger door you will see that the one that runs along the bottom of the window does not have the cut out section for the seal around the door - instead the door seal has the block piece.

Mine should have been no sunroof, no electric windows but I got sunroof, electric windows (factory fit too as they one touch correctly) and a full set of cloth electric recaros.

The window switches in mine are one touch. Although admittedly though dont fit into the doorcard very well. Then again it is an 18yr old piece of chipboard!

Will have to get some photos up when I can then...

What were the registrations of the Press cars? Did any have "666" on the plate?