Sign in to follow this  
Freefire

POWER STEERING PROB ON 16v

Can anyone help. I'm finding recently that my steering is stiffining up (very heavy) usually when I'm setting off - Obviously when I get some speed up it eases, but it appears to have no power assisting - In fact I've only had the car 5 months and I've noticed that the power steering is mildy weak even when its working. I've recently topped up the fluid level (with the vw green fluid) and if anything its making it worse than when it was at its min (well, just below). I think its been extremely low on fluid for some time - Is there a pump of some kind?:twisted:

Hi Mate

I find myn heavy too, it also judders abit when steering, going to have it looked at by the garage tonite, will post what the problem maybe when I no myself.. but as far as I can see, the belts are fine..

Cheers bud - Like I say, sometimes gets REALLY heavy - Would probably be dangerous for a woman driver as it takes a good wrench to twist it.

Let us know how you get on.

Ta!

I assume you have checked the belt is tight?

can you here the pump labouring?

if not the impellor is probably worn down, and not pumping fluid well.

is it as heavy with engine off?

if yes either above or blockage or both.

Yep check the tension in the belts, if they are loose they will usually squeel otherwise i rekon your pump could be on the bum, pisser cos it has really heavy steering wen the power steering isnt there :?

Cheers bud - Like I say, sometimes gets REALLY heavy - Would probably be dangerous for a woman driver as it takes a good wrench to twist it.

Let us know how you get on.

Ta!

Hi mate, had myn checked on friday, garage can't see any problems with myn.. hope you got your sorted??

Have checked the belts, doesnt seem to be any tension problems? - Hard to try and solve it, cos there doesnt seem to be many Corrado service manuals around - Although I did find a Lindsey...blah blah...colour..blah blah manual at Halfords, but its not very helpful.

Are there any sites anyone knows of, which has Servicing Manual downloads?

I'm POSITIVE its not right though - If it were normal to have this sort of steering....It would loose its name 'Power-Steering'. F**king terrible to drive with. :twisted:

can you hear the pump labouring?

if not the impellor is probably worn down, and not pumping fluid well.

is it as heavy with engine off?

if yes either above or blockage or both.

well?

How would I treat a blockage? - A blockage in the tail-pipe? Should I be taking it to a garage? If its moderatley easy I'll order parts off GSF. I think my pump is a Choi-3000? Cant tell the markings...G.A.V? - Its nippy!

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I've just bought a heap of junk Corrado with the same problem - heavy steering initially, which lightens after a short distance. It ain't safe and it's doing my head in.

So far I've only tried changing the fluid to the green VW stuff in case some numbnut had put something too viscous in there.....incidentally this made no difference.

mine was just like that when i first got it. I had it serviced and asked them to check the whole car over, fix minor things but just tell me anything major they found. didnt find anything major, but they did replace the PS belt which sorted it out a treat.

:twisted: [align=center]Havent cracked it yet unfortunately - Bad time of year to book into a garage, although I will be taking it for a thorough check-up early Jan, should know more then.

Have also put the 'green stuff' in - NOT A THING! Also having engine trouble - Sounds like a bag of shite, but hasn't lost any power, not sure what it is?

Great cars - Just too many problems with it at the mo.

(Replacing the PS belt sounds interesting?)[/align]

Freefire,

The 2L 16V has many of the same parts as a MkII golf GTI. I have one of these Haynes manuals and it seems to cover all the aspects of working on me Corrado.

The rest I just make up and I seem to get by. I say this because although I am fairly OK working on motors I am certainly not an expert.

Check out the manual, I think they are only about a tenner. It covers complete PS rack removal servicing etc.

When I changed the Cam belt the hardest part was replacing the power steering belt (which is part of the process). They are under so much tension its worrying. Has this been checked ?

Good luck as I know how hard the steering is without PS. Please keep us posted on progress. Stick with it as I find the the 2L 16v very reliable with good regular servicing.