Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Rear beam and ABS questions

Im in the process of dropping the ream beam for a powdercoat and rebush and have the following questions..

How do the ABS wires attach to the inside of the hubs? I have removed the stud but they wont shift, any clues?

IS it best to disconnect the brake lines from the compensator and then lower the beam with the compensator still attached?

Thanks in advance..

Hi Goldie,

just done mine,they were very tight to say the least. They sit in the hole secured by an allen stud. Corrosion over the years builds up to make it extremely difficult to remove in one piece. Loads of releasing fluid and tapping and twisting, be patient because they are fragile and cost much more than the fronts if damaged. Good luck!

The chances of you getting the brake compensator off in one piece are slim to none. They corrode themselves on and the stupid allen-key headed bolts will most likely round off :(

The ABS sensors are a pig to get out in one piece just twist them slightly back and forth to gently release them...

P.S. I havent forgoten about the bits mate Ive been flat out at work...

Graham

Just had all this done, it's almost not worth trying to get the compensator off until you have the beam off the car, if the heads go on the bolts, cut the heads off then slide the compensator off, and then work on them with heat etc......

Hi Goldie,

just done mine,they were very tight to say the least. They sit in the hole secured by an allen stud. Corrosion over the years builds up to make it extremely difficult to remove in one piece. Loads of releasing fluid and tapping and twisting, be patient because they are fragile and cost much more than the fronts if damaged. Good luck!

Ive taken the allen stud out and still no movement... Sounds like a bit more persuasion is needed..

The chances of you getting the brake compensator off in one piece are slim to none. They corrode themselves on and the stupid allen-key headed bolts will most likely round off :(

Dom, do you mean the compensator will be broken or the bolts that secure it?

The ABS sensors are a pig to get out in one piece just twist them slightly back and forth to gently release them...

P.S. I havent forgoten about the bits mate Ive been flat out at work...

Ill give it a go, no probs Graham, jsut give me a shout when your ready..

Graham

Goldie - if your stripping it completly the ABS sensors attach to the stubs I think so i'd unplug from under the rear seats and pull them thru, drop the beam and worry about removing them (if you need to) once the stub axles are off...

(or remove the stubs while beam is in situ and pull the sensor wires thru - will make the beam alot lighter when it drops!!)

Bolt Grippers are a must for this job!!!

Replacment items are no longer allen bolts - you get hex head ones instead :)

Well predictions were correcnt, compensator allen bolt crumbled so ill have to drill that out tomorrow. Replacements will be getting ordered up..

Other than that its all stripped down ready to go off to be coated along with the dust shield. Gonna be getting fitted with goodridge flexis and some nice shiney Mk4 calipers, happy days...