Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

....so when you've got a misfire and all else fails.........

.........at the mo mr chrisvr6nos is putting back together his vr after finally resolving a "misfire"

after probably 2-3,000 miles driving with a misfire - basically running on 5 cylinders - to Liverpool, Manchester, around the north east and still pulling 140 when need be, all avenues were exhausted and the head had to come off for further investigation.

In the interim, leads had been replaced, rotor arms etc... all the usual suspects, until head removal was the final option......

removing the inlet manifold gave an indication of the true problem. things did not bode well ..... :shock:

P2160482Small.jpg

oh dear!!!!!! what would be found inside.......???????

P2160484Small.jpg

although a problem was expected, this was quite shocking and I laughed my chebs off at the site once the head was lifted!!!!!!! 1,000s of miles driven with a vr engine in this state!!!!!! and it gets worse!!!!!!!!!

the piston wasn't too healthy either.....

P2160486Small.jpg

a true testament to the strength of a vr......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fooookin hell!!!

Still that lump has done well if I thinbk it's done the mileage I heard it had done with no rebuild and a blower!

...and nitrous - think it was at 270k approximately.

did you get the pics, dinkus? pm'd you

Nice going!!! Did she burn much oil?? :)

Had a combine engine valve stem snap once, and the bits of valve punched through the piston. Was up and running surprisingly quickly again though.

Holy f@@k a duck.. Now that's impressive! :shock: :shock:

VW - reeeeespect for clearly engineering the VR6 to be so strong !!

Amazing - the cylinder walls dont seem to be scored or damaged at all. Can't believe it ran like that...

the block is fuly servicable - and will be stripped down and probably for sale shortly :lol: :lol:

its certainly shown itself to be bulletproof!!!!