Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Rattling tailgate is driving me insane!

Just over the past week or so, there's been an increasingly loud rattling/squeaking coming from the back of the car. It's not the parcel shelf (removed it, no change) it doesn't seem to be any of the tailgate mechanisms, as I've had the trim panel off and wobbled everything and it's all solid it seems.

The boot shuts tight with no play in it, what are the likely suspects? Even all the plastic trim round the back window is tight on, can't wiggle it with my fingers or anything?

Please help before I go mental.

Ive got the same problem have had the car up on ramps and been over the underside as well. Am starting to go mad. Think taking out all the interior this summer and putting felt strips round all the edges is on the list of things to do this summer.............. :(

Checked the toolkit is all bolted down in the spare wheel well? :) Mine rattles around but it hasn't "got to me" enough yet to secure it properly! :)

I've been in and wrapped all the toolkit in carpet, see if that helps, cheers Jim!

I wouldn't mind, but I've just got the whole front of the car rattle-free!

I initially thought so, but there's no play in any of it. I may have solved it, my drive out last night was pretty rattle-free. I rearranged the toolkit in the wheel well, and also buckled up the rear seatbelts, so it may have been either the upper seatbelt fixings or the toolkit, or just plain luck. We'll see if it reappears!

Thanks for your help dudes.

ahhh just solved this on the passat- the issue is with the metal hook/eyelet thing on the boot floor that the tailgate latches to.

Have checked the part numbers and the corrado looks like it uses the same parts here.

The issue is the early eyelet has a crappy plastic insert which the latch hooks on to, this wears out so you get a few mm of play between the latch and the eyelet which causes the squeaky rattling as the tailgate moves around. I found out that late mk4 passats have a different eyelet which has a round metal bush rather than a plastic insert which holds the tailgate latch much more securely and is a straight swap for the original one. Also has the benefit of making the boot open with a satisfying clunk when you press the button :)

The part number you want is 333827511C (rather than 333827511 which is the original part that wears).

yea pretty easy, there are two 6mm allen bolts that hold it to the boot floor, these were a pig to get out, ended up drilling the heads and knocking them round with a cold chisel, but the ones on the mk4 passat came off easy so kept the bolts from that.

then just a case of bolting the new on on and adjusting it so the boot closes properly (theres a floating captive nut so theres a degree of adjustment possible).

Bit of an update: It turns out the original part is now obsolete as of 8th April!

So I've ordered the passat part instead. Cheers dude!

Bit of an update: It turns out the original part is now obsolete as of 8th April!

So I've ordered the passat part instead. Cheers dude!

goodo

let me know how you get on :)

Just an update - passat part fitted and it works a treat! Rattle is solved and the C is a nicer place to be once again!

Thanks a lot dude!

Bah, after a month the bloody rattle is back!

I can see that the catch has started to wear away the new striker. Is the striker on a captive nut or something so I can undo it and move it further into the boot before retightening it???

Really flipping annoying! Maybe I should replace the catch mechanism in the top part of the boot as well???

yea the striker you replaced is on a captive nut that should allow a few mm of movement- certainley mine was in the passat, maybe just needs a tap with a hammer to free it off so you can adjust it?

also does the corrado have little rubber mushrooms at the corners of the boot? they can be adjusted by loosening the grub screw inside with a 3mm allen key and pulling them out a bit, then retightening the grub screw. i find they get pushed in over time, and need pulling out again.