Sign in to follow this  
zak

Steering rack differences (part nos)

Does anyone know the differences in the following racks, i know jayrenshaw used the rack with the part number ending in B succesfuly on his old Corrado, can the rack with the part number ending in Calso be used?

6K2 422 061 C

6K2 422 061 B

yes, you could, but it's the same rack they use on the caddy so it'll be the 'non-sport' version or lower ratio version, slightly more turning lock to lock I think.

thanks for the info, i will hol out for the correct one.

do you know which other cars the sport version was used?

thanks for the info, i will hol out for the correct one.

do you know which other cars the sport version was used?

you can use a polo saloon 16v one apparently (not sure they even did thatbin the UK), but the Seat ibiza or toledo up to about 2001 for the ibiza and 1997 for the toledo, if they use the 16v engine in 1.8 or 2.0L form use the same rack, in fact the Golf mk3 GTI 16v and VR6 use the same one, it's just the 5 stud cars like the mk3's and corrado vr6 have the longer tie rods, no problem just swap in which ever tie rods you need, in fact with the correct early UJ from column to rack you should be able to fit a golf2 16v or corrado 1.8 16v/pre 92 G60 rack in there too, same basic rack just a 36 spline input shaft needing the early UJ.

Does anyone know if the Corrado came with a manual steering rack?

And before anyone starts whining about straining muscles, My PAS rack is 100% empty at the mo and I can still drive it...although parallels are a little tricky!

Either way, the manual rack would be a lot lighter than a dead PAS rack - certainly was on my Mk2.

And before anyone starts whining about straining muscles, My PAS rack is 100% empty at the mo and I can still drive it...although parallels are a little tricky!

Either way, the manual rack would be a lot lighter than a dead PAS rack - certainly was on my Mk2.

nope, they never had a manual rack on the C, the reason you can drive your car I guess is there is no fluid, if it was full of fluid you'd be trying to force the fluid through the valves in the rack with your own strength as well as moving the wheels.

golf's without PS are pretty heavy to drive even the 1.3's, but the corrado has heavier bodywork up front and was always sold as a more expensive luxury car compared to the golf, I don't think leaving off PAS would ever really have been a sensible option.

My dad's old passat estate had no power steering, heavy old car that was, but it also had a steering wheel the size of a truck :lol:

nope, they never had a manual rack on the C, the reason you can drive your car I guess is there is no fluid, if it was full of fluid you'd be trying to force the fluid through the valves in the rack with your own strength as well as moving the wheels.

golf's without PS are pretty heavy to drive even the 1.3's, but the corrado has heavier bodywork up front and was always sold as a more expensive luxury car compared to the golf, I don't think leaving off PAS would ever really have been a sensible option.

My dad's old passat estate had no power steering, heavy old car that was, but it also had a steering wheel the size of a truck :lol:

Yeah, my rack on the C at the mo has a leaky pipe and cos the fluid pressure increases with engine speed, the reservoir empties itself kinda quick :(

It's heavy don't get me wrong, but then PAS racks weren't designed to be used without fluid in them! I just wonder how light corrado steering would be when comparing a dead PAS with a manual steering as my Golf felt like a feather car after i put the manual on!

ive found a low mileage rack of a 1998 Polo 16V 6N shape, its a 3 dr hatch, ay idea if the rack from this would be suitable?

im goingto have a look on ETKA later