Sign in to follow this  
flusted

Charger pulley for 16v g60

Just taken my 16v g60 round the block and with a standard pulley its making 6psi.

Do you think this is normal for a 16v head? ive checked all my hose joins and cant see any potential leaks but havent checked with washing up liquid.

What size pulley is recomended for a 16 g60? obviously 65mm is out the question but is 68mm ok for 7600rpm max?

Just taken my 16v g60 round the block and with a standard pulley its making 6psi.

Do you think this is normal for a 16v head? ive checked all my hose joins and cant see any potential leaks but havent checked with washing up liquid.

What size pulley is recomended for a 16 g60? obviously 65mm is out the question but is 68mm ok for 7600rpm max?

Stock pulley and revs, 78mm and 6200 rpm, gives 10400 rpm at the charger so 68mm and 7600 rpm will put the charger at 14383 rpm. I can't remember the safe limit but I think it's 13400 rpm but some one else would need to confirm. The spreadsheet for this was made a long time ago.

7000 rpm would put the charger at 13247 rpm on a 68 mm pulley.

i'm going 68mm.

If it breaks i'll go turbo.

you won't if all the little bits of your magnesium scroll end up in your pistons! :lol:

I like your style dirty torque :lol: Well il limit myself to 7000rpm and run a 68mm, i know most g60 8vs go round to 7000rpm

i'm going 68mm.

If it breaks i'll go turbo.

you won't if all the little bits of your magnesium scroll end up in your pistons! :lol:

Lol.

oh hush.

:)

I'll probably map mine to 8k. I'm on a 68 toothed belt tho which i think equates to 69.1mm.

That said i am running a stand alone charger oil feed and i probably dont do more than 2-3k a year. Probably plan for a re-build every other year. I've also got a diesel 5th so motorway cruising is going to keep revs well down.

im the same, dont do anymore than 2k a year but scared to rev the nuts outa the charger if with a 65mm pulley your limited to 6k then thought the 68 would be 7 k?

I'll probably map mine to 8k. I'm on a 68 toothed belt tho which i think equates to 69.1mm.

That said i am running a stand alone charger oil feed and i probably dont do more than 2-3k a year. Probably plan for a re-build every other year. I've also got a diesel 5th so motorway cruising is going to keep revs well down.

8k on a 68mm is 15140 rpm. You'd be a brave man, I don't think wear would be the issue it'd be the eccentric scroll exploding or bearing failure.

EDIT: Safe maximum operating speed set by VW was 13500 not 13400.

so whats the safe limit for a 68mm?

Well 7400 rpm on a 68mm pulley would put the charger at 14004 rpm. So I wouldn't rev it that high. I'd use a 65mm and not rev the tits off of it, but thats me. Why don't you try it before you sell it? And maybe change the map sensor and fiddle with the ISV bleed off. Just a suggestion.

didnt want to try the 65mm just incase i got used to it and then fitted the 68mm and there was a power drop.

Think i might do as you say and still drive it to 6k rpm with 65mm on it