Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

my fuel gauge dropps as i speed up?

this might sound like a silly question but when i drive my car and accelorate in a nippy fassion, my fuel gauge dropps as i rev, but then ifi drive at a steady pace, it returns to where it sould be on the dial?

is this normal?

1993 VR6

yes.

You may find if you're on a slope you'll get incorrect readings too..- i suspect its the fuel sloshing about in the tank.

It shouldn't move a major amount however -perhaps 1/8th of the gauge..

yes.

You may find if you're on a slope you'll get incorrect readings too..- i suspect its the fuel sloshing about in the tank.

It shouldn't move a major amount however -perhaps 1/8th of the gauge..

oh i know about going up or down a hill, i didnt know if it might have been rev related?

aha... it shouldn't vary with revs....obviously if you're under (severe) acceleration then this will act as if your pointing uphill which is what I was referring to...

..if its actually varying with revs (as opposed to acceleration) then I would be puzzled.....

Is it just the fuel gauge that does it, or the temperature gauge too? The voltage regulators on the back of the clocks can cause some gauge-related strangeness. It's unlikely to be the cause though if it's just the one gauge at fault.

The fuel guage is definately affected by acceleration and braking, its probably due to the fuel sender unit being towards the front of the tank. It always shows I have more fuel under braking

Agreed....the fuel guages are crap! Can hardly ever tell how much i actually have :scratch:

does anybody else get the 'the first half of the tank lasts bloody ages but once it drops below the half, it seems to drop alot quicker'? :dorky:

Agreed....the fuel guages are crap! Can hardly ever tell how much i actually have :scratch:

does anybody else get the 'the first half of the tank lasts bloody ages but once it drops below the half, it seems to drop alot quicker'? :dorky:

that might be something to do with the shape of the tank, the first half of my guage takes ages compared to the second half , but so does my audi one

that might be something to do with the shape of the tank, the first half of my guage takes ages compared to the second half , but so does my audi one

Yeh it was the same as my mk5 polo.....1st halg ages, second half alot quicker.

Agreed that could be the shape of the tank.

Thats a relief to know :salute: i thought my G60 fuel gauge was a bit eratic! it can vary by as much as a 1/4 tank on acceleration and braking! if it was a VR6 i could understand it as you can literally watch the fuel go at speed :lol:

Just another characteristic of the old Corrado i guess :wave:

Thats a relief to know :salute: i thought my G60 fuel gauge was a bit eratic! it can vary by as much as a 1/4 tank on acceleration and braking! if it was a VR6 i could understand it as you can literally watch the fuel go at speed :lol:

Just another characteristic of the old Corrado i guess :wave:

hey easy there not that juicy , you should run a 20v ur quattro then you would no what fuel consumption is :(

:lol: I just sold my Highline Golf VR6 and unless it had a whole in tank? it drank fuel like no ones buisiness in the 4 years i had it, very thirsty engine around the town, long runs was ok