Sign in to follow this  
Philuk

A Circle Thing

I found a circle thing in my engine bay that should be attatched to the head of the engine at the back but isnt. the pipe looks like its come off, just wondering if anyone know how much a new one was or what it is!

it comes out from the back left of the VR (94)engine and is a rubber hose which joins to a cirlce thing the piping on that looks to go into the air intake piping, ive tried searching for a pic of it but i cant find one anywhere. any ideas guys? lol the VW man says i need to get the part No off it but i forgot to get it tonight lol

sounds like the recirulation valve. Mines missing in this picture DSC07231.jpg,

one was on ebay a short while back http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=001

If so Im not sure what the part number is, but if I remember correctly vw charge alot because it comes with all the air intake pipe and other bits. Have a try with ford it will be far cheaper to get it from them i've been told.

let me know if its that part and Ill try and get a part number for you

thats the bit, does it not need it to run? what does it do, is it important and will it explain why it idles a tad rough?

Yes, that missing will maje a huge difference. search for pcv valve and look throught the engine bay section it's been covered loads, you can buy it from ford. I'd block the holes for now as you'l be sucking in a lot of unfiltered air otherwise...

Ford part number: 7364573

It's the crankcase breather thingee off a Ford Galaxy VR6, costs about £25 or so. Much cheaper than getting the whole inlet gubbins from VW :-)

its physically there its just split lol so ill have to block it off, the car hardly gets driven so ill sort it out on monday when ford reopen :)

btw what difference will ti do to the cars running, will it make it run rough? like it is doing..

*edit* can i put a breather filter on there instead? or is this part quite important?

btw what difference will ti do to the cars running, will it make it run rough? like it is doing..

*edit* can i put a breather filter on there instead? or is this part quite important?

It will probably make the car run a bit rough, your basically sucking in unrestricted air after the Airflow sensor i.e. un-metered air, thus the engine is getting more air than it thinks it is. You can put a breather on but they're not renowned for being much cop. Better off with the right part tbh.

Its there for emissions if i recall correctly. What it does is it allows crankcase breather smoke to re-enter the combustion chamber vie the inlet pipe. What You could do is remove it completly and block up the inlet hole (making sure what you block it with has no chance of falling/suck trough into the inlet, i used a wheel bolt with plent of insulation tape), the other end (cam cover) can just go to the atmosphere.

this isnt ideal, but will do for a short term fix until you get the replacement part.

Some guys run this setup with a filter on the cam cover outlet and with a good proper bung on the inlet. but to by the filter will prob cost as much as the original part so may as well go back to standard setup, after all vw know what they were doing.