Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

vag-com says my speed and postioning sensor is broken..

ive got a problem that my brake peddle fights back like my wheels are locked, this happens when im braking at speed, and also if im going really slowly 5-10mph and coming to a stop (even in the dry).

vag-com says my rear left and rear right speed sensors and pedal positioning sensors have faults?

Not likely to be an ABS sensor and if it has gone the ABS light on the dash would stay on whilst driving.

The other thing to note is that the ABS does not work on any car (new or old) below a speed of 15mph, if its doing it below that then its something else.

where is the abs ECU???

my ABS light does NOT come on.

I checked my problems on vag-com and it came up with rear left and right speed sensor and pedal positioning sensor???

Did you clear the codes and re-scan?? (the rear sensors will come up if your fron wheels are moving and the rears aren't - ie RR session)

ABS ECU is in pass footwell - opposite to the bonnet release pull

BPPS is under the master cyl on the servo.

Did you clear the codes and re-scan?? (the rear sensors will come up if your fron wheels are moving and the rears aren't - ie RR session)

ABS ECU is in pass footwell - opposite to the bonnet release pull

BPPS is under the master cyl on the servo.

well as i did have the RR sesion the speed sensors could be that.

i cleared the codes, but gotta wait till i can get a pin-usb connector for a cable someone has lent me for vag-com, i went to a garage and they read the codes for me.

what does the BPPS look like and what would i be looking for to see if its broken?

i took then ABS ECU out and all pins are fine, no water damage, i opened it up and also no water damage inside.

but i did find this..

29032008448.jpg

29032008450.jpg

29032008452.jpg

on this one there is a little water on the bottom of the white bit under where the ecu would be..

29032008453.jpg

but as i found no water signs inside i dont know if this could affect it.

would the BPPS make the pedal judder as if im locking up at any speed incluing very low ones?

Do you get the ABS light coming on when you turn the key in the ignition?

If not then your ABS is not working at all but it may just be the light in the ABS dash blank.

If you have not done already have a look on the wiki and get your scuttle seal changed, this will stop anymore water coming into the car from the heater motor area.

The BPPS is usually a part of ABS unit and IIRC cannot be replaced without changing the whole ABS unit.

funny how you should say this, i have just read through the wiki and got a list of things i need to order and how to do the seal change. http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/Changing_Heater_Scuttle_%27Foliage_Cover%27_Seal#Why_Should_I_Bother.3F

when i start the car the abs light comes on for about 2-3 seconds, then goes off and the pedal pulses slightly when i start the car.

i found this tip from supercharged:-

'Tip for getting the BPPS out, pump the brake pedal first to release the vacum and use a mirror so you can see the clip underneath so you can release it with a small screwdriver'

so maybe i can change it?

I assume the garage would have cleared them and re-scanned if they know what they are doing (did they tell you to drive it and bring it back?)

What did vag com actually say ??

Yeah Yan isn't blessed with ABS, the BPPS is just another sensor that attaches to the servo and contains a plunger, I changed mine to cure a similar fault but it turned out to be the ECU, part is about £50 but i'd try and swap the ecu first for a known working one - will need to be similar (ie traction control or not) to work.

yeah my mate (garage) said to clear the faults, which he did, and to drive it and scan it again. i got a spare lead he had off him so i can do the scan myself, but i need a 12 or so pin - usb connecter for it to use it on my laptop so i cant scan it yet. but i aim to.

i just thought id try and get as much background info on it now to see what im options are.

the abs light isn't coming on when braking, it does come on when i start the car as it should do but not any other time.

could worn / low brake pad / discs cause any problems?

Those serial to USB adapters are really flakey and difficult to drive - best to install on an old laptop or PCif you have one kicking around...

Loose wheel bearings can cause sensor faults as can flakes of rust stickig to them (they are magnetic) but I would do a re-scan first to see what comes up.

well im atempting to fit new brake discs and pads 2morow, front and back, so will clean everything i can see. then do a scan when i can find an old laptop.

I'm flying home tomorrow night so will be around from Tuesday for the next couple of weeks. If you're coming over for that heater box I can always check the codes with vagcom for you?

yea sound mate, will deffo do that please! unless i get vagcom working on my laptop before then.

but still wanna come get the heater box too.