Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

2.0 16v driveshaft broken

Typical go out for a drive with the girlfriend in her car and we get to buxton and a strange grinding noise from the front right wheel appears. We pull over at a petrol station thinking its a flat but all tyres were fine but still that grinding noise when we moved it. Decided on calling the AA and he tells us the driveshafts gone.

Its at a garage now ready for monday morning but the question is where have people found the best place to get a new driveshaft is?? VW??

Never knew they could just go like that!!

Jon

wasnt me mate id be crying if it was the storm but it wasnt it was the girlfriends car (she doesnt take care of it hehe)

She does take care of it.. as the big hole in my bank account and sizeable credit card bill will testify. She just doesn't get the time :cry:

One day it'll be great!

Yeah your cars jelous of mine hehehe will someone tell Kate that its not her fault they can just go over time!!

Can anyone answer the question in the first post ??

it's often the cage that holds the bearings in one of the CV joints that cracks open, you need at least a new CV joint, the driveshaft itself is probably fine.

GSF probably do both inner and outer joints, or if your wallet can take it try VW for a price, you need to find out if it's an inner or outer joint though, outer one is the worst job as you need to undo those massively torqued hub nuts.

Update.. Turns out it was just the CV joint. I am now a happier bunny.

outer one I take it, was the boot already split and let in water/corrosion?

I think it was just the outer one as it didn't cost that much. The guy mentioned something about it splitting but luckily it hadn't affected the driveshaft. It was the first time he hadn't suggested i get another car. :lol: