Sign in to follow this  
renson

Exhaust Manifold removal advice

Ok, so in the next month or so i'm going to be removing and changing my Manifold as there seems to be a small crack in it. What is the best way to remove the manifold, obviously i will have to remove the inlet MF, But i've been putting it off because i'm worried about shearing studs off in the head. Would it be worth soaking the nuts in wd40 for a few days to penetrate any rust and then use heat aswell? What tools would it be worth having to hand, stud extractors, nut splitter etc?

What other parts will i require;

New Manifold Nuts

New studs (in case and come out with the nut)

Upper Inlet Manifold Gasket

Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Thanks,

Darren

Forgot to mention I have a 2ltr 16v (9A)

You don't have to remove the inlet manifold although it might make getting at it a bit easier.

I'd imagine a fair few studs would come out of the head as you say.

A good collection of spanners, sockets, wobble extension bars etc are needed as some nuts are awkward to get onto, the manifold to downpipe ones are sometimes easier to get at from under the car with long extension bars.

And it also does you back in leaning over the thing!

you also need the gasket to the downpipe from manifold as well as the four separate ones to the head.

I'd definitely soak them too some time before doing the job, can only help, they don't usually break (studs) but do pull out with the nuts.

Thanks for that, also just a thought. I know my down pipe heatshield rattles slightly, could i remove that at the same time and then wrap the manifold and down pipe in heat wrap instead?

heatshields, they only last about 10 yrs, my second is looking a bit tired these days, I'd probably just buy another one from VAG, at least you know the steering rack will be properly protected then, I think mine was about 20 quid, a few years back though.

But heat wrap may be OK.