Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Are all 16v rocker covers the same?

Stupid question but.. are the rocker covers on all VW 16v's the same? Mine is painted red and if i'm honest i've never really liked it - that and the fact that its been leaking oil out of it since i've owned the car so I think its time to change it (for a normal unpainted one) and the gasket - but do I need one specific to the 9A engine or will any MK2 Golf 16v or similar rocker cover suffice? Looking at pictures, they all look the same.....?

Cheers.

I think you'll be safe with yours Jim, there is a different gasket for the very very late valvers so i'd recon that'd mean a different cover for those.

Thanks Tim. I suppose I could just get mine removed and cleaned - at least then I know it'll go back on...

Indeed, there are some great paint strippers out there or if you've got some sort of access to sand blasting that should do the job too...

they change on engine numbers after 131 460 on the 9A Jim, check your registered keepers document or boot sticker (I know your cam cover isn't original so the sticker on there wouldn't be right even if it was still readable)

I've got a feeling it's only the very very last 9A engines, when parts were moving over to the ABF type mk3 16v engine.

I've got a feeling it's only the very very last 9A engines, when parts were moving over to the ABF type mk3 16v engine.

Yeah, I'm sure it is as when I got a replacement gasket for mine I chose the one for what i thought was my car, not nociting the number change for the one that i actually needed.