Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Cracked G60 inlet manifolds...

Has anyone ever had/heard of this?

Please tell me your experiences etc.

Thanks,Neil. :)

I don't know if its cracked or not yet...But im gonna take it off today and try find out. :)

This and a knackered knock sensor are literally the last two things i can try, there simply is nothing else!

So has anyone ever heard of cracked G60 inlets? Or reckon its a possability somehow?

Cheers,Neil.

They do get reasonably warm, not warm enough to crack in my engineering opinion, but perhaps if it was faulty it might hairline.

the successive uses of the car/engine after that would only make the crack propogate as it would be a weakness in the manifold.

Unlikely, but possible.

Cheers mate :)

I did wonder how long a crack could be there, and not be noticeable while growing under heat expansion/cooling etc...

Think its worth a shot given that its pretty much the only part (along with knock sensor) that i haven't changed?

Neil.

Yeah mate, definitely worth a shot! I mean your thread is 35ish pages long now? I would have rebuilt half the car by that point!

it could have fatigued from the intake charge temps + heatsoak from exhaust manifold and then cracked as it's obviously going from cold to hot to cold everytime you drive the car, just like an exhaust manifold would.

Prodigal's could easily burn your hand back in the summer before he had the charger standalone oil supply, now it prob hits 30degs tops?

deffo worth looking into, but if the crack's not obvious i'm not sure how you will be able to find it...

Aye, thread is a mahoosive 37 pages! :shock: and ive tried absolutely everything! In fact ive just remembered...ill stick the ign timing back to 6deg instead of the 8deg i tried the other day, without success :(

Was thinking of having the inlet manifold pressure tested locally or something...But to be honest im just gonna throw my mates spare one on there...Going up after a brew!

Sod the new gaskets for now, its had about 3 sets of inlet/throttle body gaskets anyway the greedy b**stard :lol:

Man...I hope to god this is gonna sort it.

Neil.

Oh don't worry mate, ive got a valver lump sat there waiting... :lol: But its on 45 webers 8)

I think if i end up keeping it, ill get to a show or two and then it needs sommet doing engine wise next year anyway i reckon...definately not turbo.Would like an all steel 2.1 on t/bodies or sommet.16v charged would be nice but without the snail :lol:

Well...off i go to attack the inlet manifold...hope all goes smoothly.Due at a show in 2 weeks!

Neil.

Riley - Give me a shout if you want a knock sensor, I have a new one thats just been on the car for a couple of months to try..

Supercharged, is that available for sale then?

Im absolutely skint (lierally living off credit card at mo) but if you can throw me a price inc p+p thats helpfull? :D

Removed the inlet manifold...Nothing untoward with it as far as we can tell :( !

Neil.

Eeek! :sad:

Would that show up with a compression test though mate?

The compression across all 4 cylinders is superb, its so annoying that the engine is a really good lump, never burns a drop of oil or anything :sad:

radocompressioncylinder4.jpg

Maybe it's alright then.

Perhaps the problem is the sum of a lot of different things ever so slightly out? Sorry i can't be more help at the mo. :shrug:

Hey no worries man...I can appreciate the effort people have put in trying to help, all/any idea's are well received. :D

Just so damn frustrating :| I really do only have 1 part left to try,knock sensor...

The knock sensor will only retard the ignition timing so will not have much of an impact on your lean running issue I am afraid.

It will be worth mixing up some washing up liquid and water in a bottle that you can squirt at the intake system, with the engine running simply apply the solution and look for bubbles of air, this will indicate if you have a manifold/seal/intercooler leak anywhere.