Sign in to follow this  
Riley

G60 cam timing mark ?

Guys, should the two dots line up inbetween the slash on the backplate as below?

radotimingcampully.jpg

Or as someone on dubforce has suggested...That they should line up with the cylinder head? a lot further up? :?

Cheers,Neil.

Ps:Mods, just keeping my 3 year problem thread on topic and clean, as you can imagine its been hard to follow for all involved.

as far as i know the two dots on the front of the pulley should line up with the mark on the cover but there is another mark on the back of the pulley which should line up with the top of the head, i allways find it more accurate to use the one on the back of the pulley with a straight edge.

Yeah that pic is correct Riley AFAIK - I always look for the belt just starting to lift away from the pulley before the first dot...

I don't know why VW made it so unclear how to line these up as with the engine in situ you can't get a straight look at it as the wing gets in the way, I think so many must be running a tooth out because of this (like the guy on Dubforce!)

The other problem is some people line the rear mark up with the top of the cam cover, the rear mark must be lined up with the top of the head when the cover is removed.

Yeah that pic is correct Riley AFAIK - I always look for the belt just starting to lift away from the pulley before the first dot...

I don't know why VW made it so unclear how to line these up as with the engine in situ you can't get a straight look at it as the wing gets in the way, I think so many must be running a tooth out because of this (like the guy on Dubforce!)

Aye, its a really unclear thing with the g60's :bad-words:

I think its this that has caused my god damn 3 year running problem.

Ive been told you do not line the two dots up, but use the dot on the back inline with the face of the head.

:?

You can use the 2 marks too in just the same way. Leval with the top edge of the head. You just look at the pulley from the other side..

So the two dots don't line up with the line in the backplate like this?

radotimingcampully.jpg

No, Ive never heard of anyone using that as a referance before.

I am guessing that the mark on the timing belt backing plate may well be a hangover from a Golf as its the same part.