Sign in to follow this  
joebrent

problems with active spoiler!!

after months of thinking that my spoiler doesnt work at all i found out today that it will manually raise!!

trouble is it takes ages to get it up (no jokes please :D ) i need to press the button quite a few times before it is fully raised, i also think that it doesnt extend fully.

i am pretty sure that it doesnt go up at speed but because of its reluctance to extend fully its tricky to see just using the rear view mirror.

all help greatley appreciated!!!!

I think, the usual problem with the spoiler raising at speed is the stereo, because some stereos have a volume control that increase the volume with speed, I know this has happened on some cars on the forum.

i need to press the button quite a few times

You should just hold it down, and it raises, rather than repeated pressing. Give me 2 secs and i'll time mine for you mate

going by the very scientific "mississippi" way of accurately counting seconds, mine takes 5 seconds to raise fully, and 5 to go back down again. Thats holding the button, not repeatly pressing it, which is wrong ;)

cheers for that mate, i had to keep pressing it as it would go up some way then stop until i pressed it again, it wasnt smooth at all, i might try some wd-40 on it, any ideas how to remedy the stereo problem thing?

the cable is usually blue I think, and I think its just a case of disconnecting it.

Have a search on the forum, with "spoiler" in the serach window, and you might get lucky, i'll have a look now mate.

hope this helps buddy

joebrent It sounds like your motor is straining and not raising automatically due to resistance in the mechanism. Take the inner panel off the tailgate and grease up the mechanism with bike chain grease spray, give it a few ups and downs manually and see if it's any faster/smoother... If not, then I'd check the voltage at the motor (could be a dodgy earth) and possibly try a spare motor to check that your's hasn't gone weak.... 8)

Inner panel - there's "several" (can't remember exactly, but something over 5) plastic fixings. Just pop a philips-head screwdriver in these and turn them 90 degrees anti-clockwise. You'll feel them come loose. At this point you can pull the plastic panel away from the tailgate. It's hooked under the solid bit at the top, so it may be stiff, but you should be able to get it off without too much trouble.

Fitting is the reverse...