Sign in to follow this  
Trickygti

9A Slight miss when on the motorway.

I'm really begining to fall in love with my new C, but I'm getting a bit worried when I drive down the motorway. Basically as I'm cruising at around 70-80mph I very intermittantly get a "miss" like the HT side of things has gone down for a split second. It doesnt hesitate or miss fire normally it just seems to happen at full operating temp and while traveling at motorway speeds.

Has anyone else come across this or know what it could be before I start playing chuck a part at it? I'm just a bit worried that what ever is playing up slightly might suddenly stop working and leave me stranded at the side of the motorway, probably in the rain lol.

Cheers in advance

I had exactly the same problem with my 9A 16v.

changed, battery, ht leads, main fuel pump (it was knackered and the engine was stalling due to fuel starvation, but that was another problem).

It turned out to be the inductive sensor on HT lead number 4. This had slid down to the distributor end of the lead and was picking up signals from the dizzy -> coil HT lead. The ECU must have been picking up these signals and this was causing the misfire every now and again. I moved the sensor away from the dizzy and secured it with some tape (although a cable tie would do the same job). No problems since doing this

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

IIt turned out to be the inductive sensor on HT lead number 4. Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

Hi

What were the sensor wires connected to.

The 9A 2.0 16v engine has a sensor on HT lead no.4, I don't know if the KR 1.8 16v has the same set-up as the 2.0.

It actually slides onto the HT lead, when you get a brand new set of HT leads you have to pull one of the connectors off the end to fit the sensor onto the wire. It plugs into a connector near the Idle Stabilisation Valve which I assume sends a signal back to the ECU.

Neil

94 Flash Red 16v

Cheers guys for giving me something to look at, I'll give the sensor thing a try tomorrow and monitor it next week. Sod's law though it hasn't done it most of this week.