Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Tyres on standard wheels

A couple of questions for all you clever folks out in corrado land, hopefully this is the right place for them.

1. What width tyres can I happily run on standard 6.5J wheels? Currently I've got 205/50's but would it make a difference to handling etc if I ran 215/45's or 225/40's??

2. What is the best wheel width for a VR6 if I was going to be doing track days etc? Iguess I shouldn't really go too wide but if there an ideal for handling purposes?

I'm looking to get another set of wheels to go with my Speedlines but can't decide whether to go wide as I want it to still handle.

As usual, all help much appreciated.

Mic

i think the wheels would look very strange with anything much larger than 205 Mic. the crappy Dunlops i have already have quite bulgy sidewalls and therefore give an inflatable rubber ring effect which i hate - i think if you went wider then you would only suffer from something similar, if not worse..

also, i would think you would lose rigidity and safety of the tyre if the tread was "overhanging" the rim itself, but then i'm no expert!! :)

What you want to achieve is no tyre roll, which you will be giving yourself by going for the 225's.

The best thing you can do is to go for a lower profile, i.e 40 or 45.

That will give you a stiffer tyre wall, then that coupled with a 195 width should stop the side ways movement of the tyre on the rim.

By doing this though you will reduce top end, but have a slightly quicker acceleration time.

My 2p

the side wall on a 225/45 will be pretty much the same height as a 205/50

the guys at the tyre place i went to (premier garage, newport) said they used to run standard tyres at really high pressure on track and it stops the tyre roll/sidewall flex.

not too sure about this though, they did say up to 60psi which seems alot to me :lol: but just repeating what they said :cuckoo:

i'd get some 16's for track use, am sure it'll help having low profile tyres and in a bit more modern size

Well without giving too much away, :eek: I've got some 16x6.5J wheels sat in my shed that I was thinking of using as trackday wheels. Which I'd probably go for some 205/45's on, should be ok I think. Just wondering if I should sell them though and go for a wider wheel for more grip/improved handling?

Cheers for advice so far, all valid and probably know more about these things than I do. :notworthy:

i'd whack some tyres on those, and use them round a track, am sure a little bit of extra width on tyres will be the last thing you will be worrying/thinking about :lol:

You don't really want brand new tyres for a track day, the tread can tear off. If you really want track tyres on your track wheels, get some R888s etc, and a tow bar and little trailer to tow them in :)

if its not too far to the track those cut slick yokos are road legal anyway