Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Small, but not too small....

...front numberplate that is - and where is the place to get one that is legal? I'm relocating my front numberplate and want something a bit smaller than standard, but not tiny (the small ones I've seen are really, really small). Is there anywhere that does them and are they even legal? Not interested in a German plate or anything fancy, just one sort of 75% of the size. Anybody any ideas :shrug:

Hi Jon, there are a few sites that do self adhesive ones, mostly for rounded bumpers on things like Jags, MX5's etc and i think these are roughly the sort of size you are after...

Best bet would be to find where the bikers local to you get theirs done. Not legal though.

Cheers for the advice folks. I am going to be a real pain though, as I still want a hard plastic numberplate (rather than the stick on one) as it's actually going to need to be mounted below the bumper on a couple of small brackets, and I really, really want something legal if possible (which rules out the bike ones). Any other suggestions welcome :D

anything other than the standard size plate with standard font will be illegal, its just a case of how noticeable its going to be, anything more than about 10mm smaller is going to be noticable, your only other option is going for a jap style square plate with the numbers on two rows, but that may look even worse.

Is the overall size a legal standard requirement or could you get a normal legal plate made up and trim off the excess border to make it physically smaller?

That way the characters would still retain legal size and spacing...... just a thought......

IIRC the physical size of the plate's not a legal but the lettering/spacing is. so if you have a 3-digit reg (eg JMC) then you can run a tiny but legally sized letter plate...

Guy who had mine before me ran a US spec raer holder as he had silly 4-digit/letter private plate

I think the lettering has to have a certain amount of border too.

Could be wronger than a wrong thing though...

Cheers for the advice folks. In the end I've gone for one from platemyride.co.uk, and it's a pressed metal one, in a slightly smaller size, with no space between my letters and numbers. Somewhat dodgy I know, but I'll keep my other plate in the car as well, just in case :lcop: arrives.