Sign in to follow this  
voo51

vr6 ISV fit 16v?

My 2l 16v ISV had siezed up and i wondered if a vr6 one would fit and do the job just the same. As far as i can tell they both look the same. The part numbers are also virtually the same other than one begins with 048 and the other doesnt but both end in 133455.

I am asking as i cannot seem to source any fairly cheap second hand 16v ones but i can a vr6 one.

Can anyone help?

Have you tried just cleaning it out with carburettor cleaner spray? These things are so simple they are often blamed for problems they don't have. Try flooding the internals with carb cleaner and letting it soak for a while then drain it out. Repeat until it runs clear. This may free things up.

If you have a meter to measure the resistance of the coil to see whether it is ok that would be the only other simple test to perform. Don't know what the value should be but I could measure my own at work next week for comparison. Don't junk it without at least trying to free it.

Here is some advice from an Audi site I found:

Engine stalls at idle speed or stalls after the start Vehicle has no idle speed

Cause: Coking causes the piston in the idle stabilisation valve -N71 to jam.

Models affected: ABK engine from MY 95

Service: The idle stabilisation valve -N71 should be checked according to the workshop manual. If the valve sticks: Attach the modification kit for changing the air intake point for the idle stabilisation valve - Part No. 048 198 455. Replace the idle stabilisation valve -N71 - Part No. 048 133 455

The mod mentioned 048 198 455 seems to be some sort of inline restrictor which effectively goes in series with the valve and changes the airflow so the valve plunger has to work around a different operating point. Look at number 18 here and notice there are 2 variants listed in the parts list: http://audi.auto-spares.ru/A6/1997/189/ ... =013310140 Presumably if the airflow is restricted a little this should move it away from the sticky area in an attempt to allow more airflow to compensate for the restriction. Sounds like an idea for experimentation judging by the number of poeple who think they have defective ISV valves. Mind you a brand new one can be had for just over £85.

just incase anyone reads this - yes a vr6 isv part 034133455 does fit a 16v just fine :D