Sign in to follow this  
flyferrari

wheel offset options and arch/strut clearance

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can offer some advice on this. I fancy upgrading from my current BBS Solitudes to a set of 16" SSR Type-Cs as pictured below. IMHO they will look great on a black car and, at 5KG per 16" rim, they should save me 1 or 2 KG of unsprung mass per corner! They should be big enough to improve the looks, grip and turn-in without wrecking the ride or panicing me every time I see a pothole (of which there are hundreds round here!).

I seem to have two choices. I can get a set of 7.5Jx16 in a 5x100 PCD and et35 offset off the shelf. I have been led to believe that I could special order a set of 7Jx16 with the same PCD and any offset between et32 and et48 (the two standard offsets for that size rim). I am planning on using standard 205/45/16 rubber and my C is lowered between 30-40mm all round. I can't see why I would want to go any wider on the tyres or lower on the suspension so these two things are likely to remain constant.

So what do you think? Off the shelf or special order? If I go down the special order route what offset should I order? Would the standard VR et43 be the best? I have NO interest in getting involved with rolling arches or worrying about rubbing of the wheels/tyres on bodywork or struts.

All informed opinion is greatfully received.

Cheers in advance

Kevin

ssr_typec_a_ci3_l.jpg

yep am running et35 on a 7.5 x 16 on the front and they sit really nice with no issues , i was running them on the back but they sat in a little further so i run et25 on the rear now ,but 35 had loads of room on the back i did run a 5mm spacer which made them et30s obviously and they sat even down the side of the car and filled the arches out the same , but i had the 25s as they had a slightly wider rim what can you do :)

So, given the "anything for a quiet life" intentions, you guys would still go for a 7.5" wide wheel rather that a 7" wide wheel? I know it would be more grief purchasing the 7" special but if you think that would give me a better guarantee of keeping out of trouble in day to day use then I'm more than happy to do that.

Keep the opinions coming.

Regards

Kevin

hi

a 7.5" rim will not stick the tyre tread out anymore than a 7" its the et that regulates were the tyre sits so i would go for a 7.5" all day long the tyres will sit better and they just look nicer as the rim will fill the arch just that little bit more..