Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Chrome plated wheel bolts? (or somewhere that can)

I feel like such a tart for asking this, but does anyone know if you can get polished stainless steel wheel bolts? Are they of the correct torsional strength?

My Compomotive MOs have the wheel bolts right on the face, so the polished zinc-plated bolts I got with them looked great for about a week and have now corroded... I was thinking some stainless ones would look much better for longer.

I dont think you can get stainless bolts with the correct torsional rating, you can get stainless caps for normal bolts though.

Ah yes, torsional not tensional :lol:

I thought that might be the case. The car had some plastic chrome cappy things on the bolts when I bought it, but they'd all split and had blu-tak on.

Any idea where I might find such products in Stainless? I've had a quick search, but don't seem to be able to find anywhere in the UK.

Edit: Actually, that's gonna be a bad idea. I wonder if it's possible to get the caps chrome plated instead?

Ok, so does anybody know of somewhere I can get bolts chrome-plated heads and/or somewhere in Berks type area that could do it?

Gah, nothing's easy is it... hehe, maybe this question would get a better response on E38... :lol:

there should be someone who does chrome wheel bolts off the shelf, the standard wheel bolts on my old MR2 where chrome from the factory.

Its also worth getting an alloy socket for tightening chrome bolts, they are a bit pricey but its less likely to mark them.

although i did find these pink diamond encrusted bolts which should be right up your street :lol: and officially endorsed by ICE-T and Mary J Bilge :wink:

or you could try midlands wheels

Ah champion stuff sir! 8)

Alas, the pink encrusted ones are just wheel nuts, not bolts, so I'll have to pass :(

Midland Tyres are sounding good though!

I saw those wheel bolt sockets in Halfords, but they just looked like they were plastic coated, so still metal inside?

the socket i used to have for the mr2 bolts was an anodised alloy socket with a plastic coating, you can usually get away with just using a decent flat drive standard socket, you just need to be carefull not to twist it awkwardly as you tighten them and dont let a garage monkey anywhere near them with an air ratchet.

Which bolts from the Midlands Wheels site would be suitable for the VR?

I gather they are M14X1.5mm but what length?

Cheers! :)

I think the standard bolts are 40mm, but I'll have a check this evening.

If you're running spacers, you'll probably need longer bolts.

You also need to check what type of heads you need on the bolts too. Tapered or radius.

I canne remember what the standard ones are - I've got different bolts to match my Compomotive MOs...

radius seats are standard for pretty much all vw's, i think the MO's that my mate had on his mk1 where taper.

Ah thanks zak maybe it's my bolts that are 40mm.

And yeah, I have a feeling mine are also taper, but radius head does sound right for standard bolts.