Sign in to follow this  
chrisr

Wont tick over when cold

ive just got my first corrado & im having a couple of small problems with it,

The main one is that when i try and start it up from cold it needs the accelerator pedal pressing quite far down, When it does start it seems to be miss firing & as soon as i let go of the throttle it will cut out, It will start up quickly again but still wont tick over, After a couple of mins with the revs being held at about 1500 rpm it will idle but it sits at just over 1000 rpm,

Ive read that the ISV valve often fails could this be my problem? can any one show me on this pic where it is?

radoengine.jpg

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be??

Ive also found a pipe that seems to not be attatched to any thing just wondering where it should go?

radoengine2.jpg

Sorry for the long winded post but im not too mechanically minded with these engines :(

Hi mate,

welcome to the forum :clap:

I've trialled and errored this engine a lot, my project thread was full of the same issues so hopefully I can be of some help.

th.2299ff12b5.jpg

The red circled bit is the ISV. Yours doesn't look like mine though, mine is silver and yours is black and possibly plastic? :shrug:

And yes, that vacuum pipe being disconnected will be the exact reason why your car dies when you take your foot off the pedal. It will plug into either a red or green plastic T-piece underneath the last bit of black tubing before the engine and throttle body.

feel free to PM if you get stuck, or come for a chat on messenger :salute:

Jon.

Not sure about the disconnected pipe other than I looks like a vacuum pipe.... not sure where it should be connected to.

The ISV is the cylindical thing in front of the distributor (to the right of your inlet manifold in your pic) with the flexi hose attached to the inlet pipe on the left side of your pic.

Best thing to do is take it off, soak it in petrol over night (can spray it with carb cleaner if you like but heard it can wreck the seals in it over time), clean it off and give it a coating of WD40 to help lube :camp: it up. Re-install.

Hope this helps mate.

I hate to say it mate but it looks like you've got a few things in that engine bay to take care of!

Firstly - regarding the ISV, they can be problematic on these cars now at this age. Though looking at the picture, i'd be more suspect of the wiring to the ISV than the ISV itself - is that blue electrical tape wrapped round the wiring? See my pic for the location of the ISV - try disconnecting it once the engine is running and see if it affects it.

Regarding the second pic - I must be honest and say its a bit of a minefield of pipework round by the airbox.. a break in some of those pipes can cause really poor running like what you describe, and I would not be surprised if that rogue bit of pipework is causing your problem. I can't get to the car now but if you're still struggling in a few days i'll try and pop my head under the bonnet of mine for a picture or two and a nose around and see how it should be connected up - got a 2.0 16v as well so should be able to compare engine bays to see what is connected up wrong!

^_^ I finished my exams, so I have even less to do now! :notworthy:

I was wondering if it was a 2.0 aswell Jim, does look ever so slightly different to my bay in places.

thanks for the quick response its a 2.0 16valve engine & my isv is plastic, think ill be looking through ebay for a new one, do i need one from a corrado or will a golf 16 valve one fit? Yeah it does have blue electrical tape on the wiring (nothing to do with me though!!!!!!!) might just unwrap it & see whats underneath it all,

Just removed all the blue tape & wires are ok so i thought id take the isv off to clean it out ive ended up breaking where the bottom bit of the hose fits on to it because the clips were really rusted so looks like i need a new one now :(

I took off the isv last night and managed to brake the big bit at the bottom where the hose attatches to so took it to work today, cleaned it out with brake cleaner, i [lastic welded the broken bit back onto it and made sure there was no gaps, Just re-fitted it now and started it up but it still runs really rough at low revs, when you get it above 2000 rpm it seems fine & will rev propperly but as soon as you let off it will cut out, I also noticed that it smells quite alot of petrol fumes from the exhaust, It has also recently had a new coil , dizzy & dizzy cap.

I'd possibly be looking at the lambda probe next - if its running really rough, etc...

What the hell happened to the heat shield behind the engine block?! It looks like the local Uri Geller convention visited town.

I have some problem like yours, mate :(

As many have said, revise the ISV, and very important: the tubes taking the air from the air-filter box to the engine.. maybe they have a small hole or something, which makes your car go bad.

I would take it to a mechanic to inspect the smoke coming out from exhaust. maybe, with it, you find the problem

tempted to call RAC out to get it looked at!! afterall i pay £80 a year and not used them for 3 years :norty:

changed the idle valve this morning and checked all pipes were fully conected, now it wont even start, put the old valve back on and it starts but runs rough as ever, its really p*@@*ng me off now!!! :mad2: i did notice that at the back of the engine there is a brass/copper looking pipe that comes off the manifold and goes to the top of the engine just behind the inlet manifold, on mine it isnt connected to anything but has a bolt in it to blank it out :? what should it be attatched to??

well ive decided to ring the RAC to get them out to it tonight, hopefully they will get it going for me :grin: if not then i think it will be braking it time!!!

Had the RAC out & they say the cold start injector is wide open & that it might possibly be down to the coolant temp sensor??

hi mate its liam ive been reading your post and now i recognise who you are lol the pipe off is the pipe which goes onto the vac pump for the cold start flap in the air box, the brass pipe im not sure about ill have a look tomorow on mine for ya, and the coolant temp is what i said it could be after trying the isv!!!! and i havnt got one lol im sure some one has tho or they are £23.90 from vw!!

hope this helps i know it prob wont( :) )

hi m8, cheers for your help, found the coolant temp sensor for £7.25 for a new one from GSF.

Had the RAC out & they say the cold start injector is wide open

Hi

That is easy to fix. We dont really need this injector in the UK. Just disconnect the electrical connector to it.

hello. if someone gets the coolant sensor reference number, please post it as I need to buy it too...

Had the RAC out & they say the cold start injector is wide open

Hi

That is easy to fix. We dont really need this injector in the UK. Just disconnect the electrical connector to it.

what will it do if i leave it disconnected?

Hi

The cold start injector only squirts petrol when you crank the engine to start it and it is a cold day. So by disconnecting it, you will be relying on the petrol from the rest of the 4 injectors to fire up the engine, which will be plentiful.

attached to the airbox,there is a temp sensor for cold start, like a thermosthat. could it be this what is working wrong?

well. In my case, I have placed a new sensor (the one between the airbox and the carosse ( :ignore: )), and the problem is still there. I have disconnected the cold start injector and still the same. So I think it will be the coolant sensor.

I have found two of it, of 2 different marks:

1. FAE 3,8& (is said to be a s**t)

2. ?? 16& supposately the good one.

next week I tell you what is going on when I change it, let's see if all together we get to fix this problem!