Sign in to follow this  
staffs_til_i_die

How can I get my C onto a track without bashing the cash?

Hi,

A mate and I are looking at buying a battered C and turning it into a track car. I've been searching the net, and this seems like it's going to be very expensive though...

All we really want is a bit of fun, thrashing a car round a track to try and beat each other's lap times, and race anyone else whose there on the day.

I've looked at some circuits like this one:

http://www.croftcircuit.co.uk/car.php

Which is £169 (+ helmet hire) for a day.

This seems pretty expensive when you can drive someone else's car (a Lambo or Aston) here for £79:

https://www.driversdreamdays.co.uk/folder.asp?catid=52

I know you only get a few laps in the Lambo, but still...

Anyone know a lo-fi track in the West Midlands where you can pay £20 and get a few laps in? If it's going to £169 each time, I'm not sure it'll happen (I won't have any money to sort the car out, buy a trailer, etc.)

If not, I'll just have to start a street racing career...

I don't think there are any ways around it mate - track days are just expensive!

And as you say - those Lambo experiences are good, but you do only get like 3 laps - not really comparable to a track day! :)

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to find a trackday for much under £100 a pop. The problem is the rental of the track is very expensive, then you've got to pay all the marshalls, ambulance crew and such as well.

As said - a pukka track day will get you a good amount of time on track, rather than just 3 laps in a Lambo. TBH though - unless you've done a lot of work on the car, you won't really want to do more then 3/4 laps before you come in and let the car cool down. If you're properly cracking along you'll start to set the brakes on fire and overheat the oil if you stay out much longer than that.

Obviously you can go back out again after you've let it all cool down :)

Also don't forget to take into account the cost of tyres, brakes and oil as you'll get through them at a scary rate!

Thanks gents. Not the news I was after though... :(

Is there any other way of doing this? I spoke to a bloke over the road, and he said that by joining a drivers' club, you could bring the cost right down. He didn't know of any though for Corrados...

How about an airport runway? Anyone know if you can get onto these for a spot of drag racing? Currently I only really measure my 0 - 60 on the start of the M6 toll.

Anyone?

Airfield days tend to be cheaper. I did my first, in Mk2 GTI, for around £80. It was the first of the season so was cheaper, but they seem to be around the £100 mark now They are specially set out to be like a track and have large run-off areas. Some of the corners are quite artificial though as they are coned off. They are still great fun though and are a good way to start out. Any track or airfield days ban any form of timing though. You can race each other, provided your are not seen to be properly racing each other (if that makes sense)

It was through this company

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/

There were some nice cars to content with. 911 GT3, Atom, exiges, elises, caterhams, RS4, M3 CSL to name a few.

So you want to get into track days but not spend money, dream on. They are expensive for a reason. £170 isnt that bad for a full day.

Please dont go there just to race with someone, if you want to race, go racing!! You may be in a battered old car but some on there will be doing it for a bit of fun in their pride and joy. Not good if your brakes overheat and you end up spearing someone when trying to race them, seen it happen all to often.

Hi,

Motorsport events (http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/) do a range of mostly airfield based track days which start at as little as £79.

But in all honesty you are deluding yourself if you think that having a trackday hobby is going to be cheap because it won't be. In fact the track time will be amongst the lower of your costs. Not only do you need to get your track day vehicle into suitable (safe) condition and keep it that way, you also need to budget for replacement brake pads & front tyres at almost each event, petrol (a VR6 will get into single figure MPG around a track meaning you'll use over ½ tank on a full day) and travel to/from the location.

As a guide my rough track day budget is broken down as follows:

£180-£200 Circuit hire

£215 Tyres (pair)

£120 Front pads (after every second track day)

£80 Fuel

£25 Oil & filter change (essential after the event)

The best way to reduce the outgoings is to do what you're doing - split the costs & action with a mate (or mates). But whatever you do make sure the suspension bushes, brake pipes, steering rack and brakes on your chosen trackday weapon are up to the job - don't skimp on those items to save a few quid whatever you do.

Have fun :D

John

I've bought my corrado vr as a specific track day car. I had a mk1 2.0 16v but sold it 2 weeks ago to get the C. Like the mk1 i'll be taking it to castle combe vag days. Its £160+ for a day which is only 6 ( i think, might be 5) goes round the track, each go lasting about 10 mins. So its about an hour in total on the track. But its hard going aswell as expensive. Have to wear helmets and long sleeves and trouser, windows shut etc. In the summer its a killer and i doubt i could so more than 6 goes. I am going in july, knowing that when i come home my car will need new tyres, maybe new brakes and maybe even more. I've seen people boil the brake fluid and come off the track into the tyre wall at 100mph. Honestly, i dont think there is a cheap way to do it. last year my hubbys mk1 went round with no probs so only cost the track fee. So if you are lucky if might only cost you £160, but getting the car, and then getting it track ready isnt gonna be massively cheap either.... so so worth it tho, its so much fun. Like someone else said, track days are not about the racing, and actually if someone is coming behind you faster than you , you are meant to signal and move over for them. If i went round the track for fun and someone was on there being a t*t and trying to race everyone it would annoy me a little cuz it can be dangerous, and kinda soils the good mood of the day.

With a little luck and a following wind (translation : get the replacement profile race cams I've been promised in exchange of my disappointing 284s) I will also be at the VAG track day in July. Will look out for you there.

Quick note: If you do buy the whole day (6 passes) then make sure you get up there early & out on track. The queues at the Autometrix days are such that you really need to do 3-4 runs in the morning session to use all the passes. "Lunch" is usually declared at 1pm, so the pm session is shorter than the am one. I've been left with an unused pass at 5pm before...

Cheers

John

Right, thanks for all the advice. Currently, I don't have enough money to be replacing tyres, pads, etc. etc. every five minutes, so I'm just going to stick to go-karting, and spend my hard earned cash on another vice (hard drugs, lap dancers, guns????) :norty:

But its hard going aswell as expensive. Have to wear helmets and long sleeves and trouser, windows shut etc. In the summer its a killer

Why do you have to keep the windows closed? I know it's a requirment, but I don't understand why.

If the window is lowered into the door, you won't get a face / helmet full of glass in a side impact. You're a lot more likely to if it's raised!

I know that from experience of road accidents.

What about sunroofs, do they have to be closed aswell?

I can't drive with windows and roofs closed, I hate it! My window is open all year round.

I'm not sure why the windows have to be shut, was just something i was told but never knew if it was actually true enough that they'd tell you off for it. Its true tho, no glass flying if the windows are fully open. Seems silly regulation to me.

But its hard going aswell as expensive. Have to wear helmets and long sleeves and trouser, windows shut etc. In the summer its a killer

Why do you have to keep the windows closed? I know it's a requirment, but I don't understand why.

If the window is lowered into the door, you won't get a face / helmet full of glass in a side impact. You're a lot more likely to if it's raised!

I know that from experience of road accidents.

What about sunroofs, do they have to be closed aswell?

I can't drive with windows and roofs closed, I hate it! My window is open all year round.

Until the window smashes it'll do a great job of keeping arms and legs flailing about in the wind as you roll over... :grin:

You can have your window open ' a bit' as long..... as it isn't open all the way when you leave the pit lane ( when the pit lane marshal 'should' check it)

Seen quite a few cars with open sunroofs on track, depends how picky the marshals are really...

And yes, track days are expensive. :sad: I used to do them once a month or so... I think a crack cocaine habit would be cheaper :nono: