Sign in to follow this  
zak

VR6 Steering UJ

what's wrong with yours?

I got a S/H one for a tenner off e-bay because I needed a later 22 spline one, but I've yet to find one with any wear in it.

It's worth noting that wear in the UJ is barely perceptable when checking it in your hands.

It's not until it's subjected to the loads of steering the car that any play becomes apparent, and even the tiniest amount causes slack in the steering.

Last time I got a UJ from VW it was £120+VAT, but you'll need to match the spline count to the steering rack's drive shaft and Mr Wort mentioned.

Recently i sourced a low mileage rack from a 70K Seat Cordoba of a guy from another forums claddifieds, the guy was supposed to send me the UJ with it but didnt. My car has done 180K and ive replaced all the suspension and steering components and its all back together now. But i really do not want to use my current UJ bearing in mind the mileage that my cars done. Im thinking i should source a UJ from a low mileage car or buy a new one before i put the car back on the road and get the suspension alligned as its one thing that will niggle me afterwards. The guy i got my rack is trying to sell me the one he has but i wont be buying it out of principle.

My current UJ does not seem to have any play on it but i was thinking along the same lines as Kev that you would only need slight wear for play to become apparant under load.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it'll have no play in it under load compared to attempting to twist it in your hands (which is difficult anyway as each joint moves in two planes), but if you stick one in a vice and swing on it they're pretty heavily engineered things and compared to the play that builds up in other components from steering-wheel to road-wheel I can't see they'll contribute much to steering issues if they show no signs of movement in a vice. The second hand VR one I got was solid-as. The corrado has PAS anyway so I don't think those things are under massive loadings and must be cushioned from the shocks from the road by all the components between them and the wheels.

If money's no object then obviously go new, but it's worth picking up a second hand one I reckon and comparing to your old one.

Was the Cordoba rack from a 16v? I'm sure that's the only one with the same ratio lock to lock as the corrado.

i'll try to source a lower mileage second hand UJ, is the golf vr6 UJ the same as the corrado vr6?

My rack was from a abf engined cordoba 16v, its exactly the same as the rack that came of my car. The lock to lock matched therack tat came off my car. I just used vr6 track rods and ends when refitting it and it fits fine,

no, unfortunately the golf UJ's are a different part no., but all the Corrados after 1992 have the UJ you need 8v, 16v or VR6.