Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

coolant flush

on the G60 you undo the hose from the pump to the long metal pipe that goes to the bottom rad hose, the pump hose is the lowest in the system.

on the VR i think its the bottem rad hose.

no just the bottom and put the heater on Hot and open the header/expantion tank

when filling fill through top rad hose into the engine and rad. then top up from the tank.

Use distilled water for the flush. I.e fill the system and seal, run the engine to open the thermostat, then drain the water while still warm NOT HOT, allow the block to cool if adding Cold water, or use hot water mixed with new coolant G12+ but im sure you knew that.

To what engine do you refer? The 16V and G60 engines are not equipped with a coolant drain plug, one would simply remove the radiator bottom hose to drain the engine. The VR6 however does have a drain plug located on the front of the engine in the coolant tube between the thermostat housing and the water pump. This is not easily viewed from above owing to the inlet manifold. More easily viewed from below. I hope this info helps your quest. As regards the refilling of the system i would srongly recommend VW G12 plus after a good flushing out.

I take it from that comment you have had a look and had little joy! Have you located the coolant tube on the front of the block? If so trace it along from the thermostat housing (noted by the three sensors fitted into it) looking at the far end of the tube next to the water pump on the lower surface you will see the drain plug, a small black plastic screw. Try again, good luck. A point to note is these plugs often get mangled by heavy handed operation, and are often coated in grime (appologies if your engine is show standard offering :oops: ) so may be difficult to see.

Thanx for the advice, not really managed to see it yet but then I haven't crawled underneath to take a look.

Will let ya know how I get on

Thanx again

Chris

Put your hand above the oil filter housing and grab the long plastic tube 16VG60 described. Slide your hand along and your fingers will land on the drain plug. It has a knurled ring for removing by hand, about the size of a 10p.

Don't forget to put it back in before the refilling with coolant - via the top hose :)

Kev