Sign in to follow this  
nickeboy

engine hesitates when blip throttle/change gear

my 93 vr6 hesitates i tiny bit when i blip the throttle and when i change gear, once it is reving it is fine, does anyone have any ideas, i have lived with it for as long as i remember but i would like to sort it

thanks

Nick

It could be any of the following (in order of ascending cost):

Basic settings could do with re-learning

You can do this via VAG-COM, but doesn't seem to always make much of a difference

Split breather pipe

It's on the top left of the engine - round thing that might be covered in gunk and split and thus sucking air in that the engine doesn't know about (highly likely)

Dead MAF

The air flow sensor isn't actually registering how much air is flowing into the engine, so the ECU is having to guess. If you run the engine and let it idle, unplug the MAF (big 2" or so connector on the wide pipe that comes up to the engine from the airbox) and see what happens. If nothing happens then it's probably broken, if the engine coughs and splutters and possibly dies then it's OK.

Dead lambda

The exhaust oxygen sensor isn't registering how well the engine is burning the fuel, so again the ECU is having to guess.

If it's nothing obvious like the breather valve, then the best bet is to get it hooked up to VAG-COM to see what it says.

thanks I will have a look at those, may be worth mentioning the occasional smell of fuel like running rich normally, at cold, could be a incorrect mix?!@

and from someone from my home town as well!

thanks

Nick