Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

2.8 bottom end

Right I posted on here a few weeks a go after my engine seriously overheated, The final verdict is it was a serious failure!!

I have warped the head and melted the pistons so the engine's a write off, what I need to know is other then a coilpack 2.9 VR6 engine what options do I have, excluding then the worthwhile but complicated obd2 conversion as I'm not about to start fabricating looms etc.

I already have a coilpacked 2.9 race-spec head waiting to go on and some schimmell cams so the top half should put a smile on my face but I'm stuck with the bottom half.

If I'm keeping my loom, ecu, alternator, etc etc then what bottom end would drop straight into what I've got. I don't mind having a 2.8 bottom end as I'm pretty sure it's only 69cc's smaller so I doubt I'd even notice and they are infinately easier and cheaper to find.

Alternatively if I sell the head could I drop a complete obd1 2.8 in with ease? I just want the cheapest and easiest option to get my sorely missed VR back on the road without letting too many horses out the stables, any rock solid advice would be massively appreciated.

OK I'm still none the wiser so I have 3 questions if anyone can help...

If I keep my TB, Inlet manifold, fuel rail, looms, Schimmell cams and ECU will a AAA head and block from a Sharan fit straight in and make roughly the same power?

Are they really detuned or messed about with?

Should I keep my box or are the ratios the same?

Forget the full obd2 conversion as for now I just want it back on the road.

Cheers

Is your 2.9 a dizzy or coilpack engine? A Late 2.8 replacement is going to be coilpack.

My knowledge:

A late OBDII AAA block will work fine with an ABV head and OBDI dizzy management (i've had that setup in a corrado - I didnt put it in tho).

Hence I'd expect the AAA block will be fine with a OBDI coilpack ABV head and mangement.

Dizzy and coilpack heads are slightly different but the cams and some other parts can be swapped to convert.

I have a niggle in my mind - I think the VR6 in a sharan was mounted differently so has different oil filter arrangement or something, may not be a problem if you have parts from your 2.9.

I'm not sure if sharan engines are detuned - I'd expect there to be different cams at least? so your ABV head is likely to be better.

Power wise I think the differences between 2.8 and 2.9 are the 69cc like you say and different throttle body / mapping / possibly different cams(?).

I think you'd be hard pressed to notice any real world difference if you are just changing the block, although VW must have made the 2.9 for a reason?

I suppose the 2.9 is the older block being fitted to passat and corrado, then when the golf VR was released they wanted to make it sound not as good as the corrado so made a 2.8 block, or it might be due to some kind of tax class or something, who knows.

Cheers for the comments, I've been pulling my hair out about it.

I had a coilpack engine so I was planning to run the following...

AAA Sharan head and block

ABV inlet manifold & TB, loom, ecu, injectors, coilpack

Schimmel cams

Hopefully this will all work together with no problems, The only difference would be my bore size will drop from 82mm to 81 so I cant see me losing any more then about 4-5bhp...correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone know if I'm good to go with the Sharan gearbox or is it running some monster truck big fat ratios?

One more question...I've seen plenty of fabricated MK2 golf looms knocking about for carrying out OBD2 conversions, If I plan to get full obd2 management in the future will a golf loom fit a C?