Sign in to follow this  
kaiserVR6

Knocking over bumps & vibration over 80mph

well yet another issue with my C, this morning on coming into work i noticed that at about 80 and over there is a high vibration and then over bumps etc there is a knocking noise...............

When i changed the brakes and discs on saturday in noticed the CV boot was a bit perished but nothing major and it was weeping a small amount of grease....

so is it one of the follow

A new drive shaft

Bottom Ball joint needs replacing and the CV gaitor.....

Thoughts please.....

I had a road speed related vibration and it turned out that my driver's side diff support bearing had lunched itself. New gearbox time.

Your two problems just might be different things though. The 80mph problem could be as simple as a wheel being out of balance.

I'd check for knocking on full lock at low speed - a sure sign of an outer CV on the way out.

General slop in the drivetrain can also be inner CVs. General clonks over bumps could be ball joints or anything with a rubber bush (drop links, wishbone, ARB bush etc)

Probably best to get the car on a ramp and have a good poke about.

Funnily enough I've had two very similar problems just resolved.

The vibrating was the wheels needed balanced. They will usually only balance the front two wheels if you say youre feeling the vibration at a certain speed, but ask them to do all 4 to be on safe side.

The knocking noise going over bumps was just the exhaust. Your rubber hangers possibly need renewed.

Just to note, I was assuming your vibration is coming through the steering wheel. If it's not then it's not balancing that needs done.

yep its trough the steering wheel, i got my new wheels put on on saturday after having new tyres and it has started after that, so that makes sense!

Ditto exhaust hangers for knocking noise, I've had this before.

Also, what is a "high" vibration? :scratch:

i'm going down to the garage at 5 and they are going to check the wheels (all 4) for balencing, the knocking noise is coming from the left corner where the CV boot is weeping so i will ask them to put it on a ramp.

let you know

Knocking is usually bushes! same is happening to mine at the minute been on the ramps and its a anti roll bar drop link bush so obviously you have to replace the whole drop link 27 quid each from VW! My opinion get it on some ramps first

Or 9 quid each from GSF. For what it does I wouldn't bother paying 3 times the price for arb drop link, its a 4 inch long peice of metal with two bits of rubber.

well all fixed, cheers for the advice fellas,

it turns out that when the wheels were refurbished they painted they to such good quality that the balancing weights wnt bond to the surface, so when i took it to the garage i had them re balanced and the judder at 80 is gone, and strangely enough one of the exhaust hangars was cracked and eprished, so replaced that while on the lift.....

Having the CV boot changed tomorrow though as its about to go and i dont want to leave it and end up ahving to change the CV joint itself!!

Once again the forum comes up trumps!!!

Thanks guys!