Sign in to follow this  
oilman

Interesting oil fact #3

I'd say no as it looks like and smells like mineral oil, but Guy will know for sure.

Take Redline and Silkolene ester oils. They're a purpley red colour and odourless, as you'd expect from something born in a lab instead of under the ground.

Mobil 1 and Castrol RS / Edge claim to be full synths too, but are also brown and smelly like mineral.

A few years ago I wrote to Mobil and Castrol asking them to prove their top oils were 100% man made. Mobil refused to reply. Castrol sent back a 20 page dossier!!

The Double Ester oils they put in the GT3 Lamborghinis look like mineral (still yellowy) but don't smell like it. Smell almost sweet like Pear Drops or something! I'm so scientific.

But I didn't tell you that... :ignore:

So is Synta-Gold a 'true' synthetic?

I dont think it is no, a hydrocracked mineral oil.

Cheers

Guy

So is Synta-Gold a 'true' synthetic?

I dont think it is no, a hydrocracked mineral oil.

Cheers

Guy

The real question is, IS it a good oil? I was recommended it by my mechanic after having a new lump fitted and i wanted the best for it.

Yeah its good, what kind of price is it at? Any idea what VW specs it meets?

Cheers

Guy.

Yeah its good, what kind of price is it at? Any idea what VW specs it meets?

Cheers

Guy.

I got its trade price, its was around £28. The label on the front says 'VW 502.00/505.00 (1/97)'.

Is that what you were asking for?

Yep, ideal fella.

Those are pretty basic Vdub specs so its mineral based for sure.

Keep it to regular changes.

Is it 5w-40?

Cheers

Guy.

What about Sinta Silver? A lot of use use that on the forum here as it's the VAG oil for G60s and VR6s (and probably valvers but I'm not sure)

Yep, ideal fella.

Is it 5w-40?

Cheers

Guy.

Cheers Guy. Can you recommend a good fully synthetic for a reasonable price? Strike a balance between cost and quality.

Thanks

Gaz

What about Sinta Silver? A lot of use use that on the forum here as it's the VAG oil for G60s and VR6s (and probably valvers but I'm not sure)

Not so good a semi-synthetic, if the car is modded or tracked, you will need something a lot better than this

Cheers

Yep, ideal fella.

Is it 5w-40?

Cheers

Guy.

Cheers Guy. Can you recommend a good fully synthetic for a reasonable price? Strike a balance between cost and quality.

Thanks

Gaz

Yes, a few spring to mind

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-805-mobil-s ... e-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8 ... hetic.aspx

The dogs nadgers and top option

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-silkol ... gines.aspx

For the highly modded or tracked!

Cheers

most daily driver VW's of this era seem to run happily on this as it's about the right weight for those engines in our climate (particularly the tappets), but I've noticed recently there are two 'Synta Silvers' one is the old VW spec synta silver 10/40 semi-synthetic and the other is labelled just 'Synta Silver' and is not of the (albeit outdated) VW spec, so be careful what you buy from shows etc...

I used the semi-synthetic Silver for years for regular 6-7K changes, but it's harder to find now and especially for a sensible price for a not-very-special oil.

Yep, ideal fella.

Is it 5w-40?

Cheers

Guy.

Thanks

Gaz

Yes, a few spring to mind

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-805-mobil-s ... e-oil.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8 ... hetic.aspx

The dogs nadgers and top option

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-silkol ... gines.aspx

For the highly modded or tracked!

Cheers

Top stuff, the price of the mobil synt 5 and the motul 8100 is same price as the Synta-Gold. May have to order some of that. Is there much difference between the mobil synt 5 and

the motul 8100?

most daily driver VW's of this era seem to run happily on this as it's about the right weight for those engines in our climate (particularly the tappets), but I've noticed recently there are two 'Synta Silvers' one is the old VW spec synta silver 10/40 semi-synthetic and the other is labelled just 'Synta Silver' and is not of the (albeit outdated) VW spec, so be careful what you buy from shows etc...

I used the semi-synthetic Silver for years for regular 6-7K changes, but it's harder to find now and especially for a sensible price for a not-very-special oil.

JMR buys massive oil drums full of the stuff and apparently there have been big changes in the regional supply network and oil for my VR was well over £40! Looks like a much better option to go for some more modern fully synth stuff next time round.