Sign in to follow this  
16V KEV

over heating ?????

Went out yesterday & drove for about 15 miles then parked up ,when i got back in my car {10 mins later } the instrument panel & windscreen where wet through with steam temp gauge reading 90 degrees & red warning light flashing , ive lost about 1 pint of water but cant see where its gone , has anyone had the same problem ??????

Yeah definately sounds like heater matrix to me as well. They're in quite an awkward position to get to as well you have to take the dash apart to get to it!!

Yea, sounds like it.

But you should be able to get driving again by bypassing the heater matrix. Find the two pipes in engine bay that go into and out of the bulkhead. Disconnect both from bulkhead and with one re-attach the open end to the other (there are 2 valves, one black and one silver - basically connect the 2 of them using the rubber pipe from one). Just means you'll not have any heat. Brrrrrrrr

But it will mean you can drive without losing water and without the light flashing until you get it fixed. :)

Good luck

Tis a bugger of a job, had to do mine a couple of months ago!

Make sure you put every screw back in otherwise you might get a very annoying rattle.

Also, if you are replacing the heater matrix with the plastic version then watch out for a load of steam when you first start the engine. Followed by some pain fumes, highly normal I was told as it's the plastic pipe ends that are heating up and the black paint coming off.

Boy did I get I shock when my car filled with the stuff :D

Ye thanks mate found this out today when a went for a run to York , nearly choked the wife ! she wasnt amused as she s 8 months pregnant .

hope the smell goes away soon !!!