Sign in to follow this  
Aus

How many sunroof drain holes?

My rear window steams up whenever the car's stopped for a minute or so. There's no wet carpets/leaks from all the usual culprits and I've checked door membranes, door drain holes, heater matrix, rear light seals etc. The 2 front drain holes on the sunroof are fine, but I remember reading somewhere that there are 4 drain holes in the s/r? How do you get to the rear 2?

Cheers

***Mod Edit: I've removed the other version of this post as it was identical to this one. - Henny ***

When I unblocked my sunroof drain holes I thought there were only 2, 1 either side of the black plastic gutter.

Cheers

Ady

there are 4 tubes that run down each pillar to get to the rear ones i'm afraid you need to drop the headlining out , but its no big task really they gan be simply checked by pouring water around the sunnroof when opened with the car on level ground , about a large mug full in each corner should do it you will see it pour out under the car in the relavant corner if the tubes are clear and attatched

Just out of curiosity, does the rear washer work?

It's quite common for the pipe to rip around the hinge in the bootlid causing it to leak water out... This could cause your rear window to steam up... :?

I've poured water into the sunroof gutter and it came out fine.

And the rear washer is working and all the piping was dusty and dry so guess that's OK.

I'm absolutely stuck why the window steams so quick - have just run sealant all round the inside of the rear window, more in hope than anything else!

Poor seal on the roof anntena? Rear light seals? Tailgate hatch grommets? Boot lock barrel seal? You would really need to get someone to hose it down while you lie inside with a torch and look for ingress.

Are you sure you actually have a leak? Hot air will naturally condensate on a cold surface. My rear window also steams up when I get in it on a cold morning but 1 minute of the demister, and it's completely gone. I also have the window open all year round, so the temperature inside the car equalises quicker.

My car is a bone dry inside and that's the only theory I can come up with, sorry if sounds stupid or teaching you to suck eggs!

Kev