Sign in to follow this  
rustyturret

1995 VR6 drive shaft nut question + Sub frame question

Hi all,

1st) I went to try and remove the front drive shaft/hub nut on my 1995 VR6 drive shaft earlier today and was suprised when none of my sockets fitted! It looks like a multi pointed nut not of the hexaganal variaty.

Do I require a special socket (what size) for this job as I only have the comanal garden 6 sided variet?

2nd) I'm in the middle of changing most of the bushes on the motor and was wondering how to drop the sub frame enough to do the front anti roll bar ones. I have losened/removed the four at the rear of the frame and have searched other posts that say to losen the two front ones. For the life of me I can picture the ones they mean! And also sure the engine mounts power steering rack etc also bolt to the frame?? Any advice would be appreciated as the bently manual/haynes MK2 book of lies are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot :lol:

Cheers in advance....

So am I right in thinking that you have to losen/completely unbolt the two engine mounts and steering rack? It's what I thought when I was under the motor today but find it hard to believe you have to go through all that to replace two bushes!

i have done it but its not an easy job

undo the sub frame nuts at the front and rear and also undo the 2 nuts on the engine mount (near side/ passenger side)

this will give you just enough room to play with (you may need to use some blocks to push the sub frame down a bit

like i said its not an easy job to do in situ

kel

I'm not sure if they are avalible off the shelf as a polyethelene bushe but I have turned up some UHWMPE bushes to replace the rubber bush in the ARB link arm to stiffen things up a little!? They are super rigid and UHWMPE has excelent ware properties so should help things along :D