Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Diesel Tuning Boxes

Bonjour,

I've been looking into getting one of these tuning boxes for my Audi, they can be bought on Egay for as little as £40 and apparently give gains of around 30bhpeas :eek: - now this seems to be far too good to be true, much like the ecotec valves,electric superchargers and cardboard turbos :confused:

I've not heard from anyone that's used one of these, but have spoken to a few people that seem to think that they wont cause any damage to the engine, and they work by tricking the ECU into thinking the engines colder than it is, so it pushes more fuel through :shrug: - the last thing I want to do is cause any premature wear on the engine as i'll be keeping the car long term. I dont drive particularly hard but would like an increase in torque/power, which should give me a few more MPG if it works as it should?

I'd be interested to hear what some of you more technically minded peeps think of these boxes, are they typical ebay tat? or is it worth a shot?

Regards

J.R.Heartly

Given how cheap it is to get a turbo diesel chipped *properly* to silly outputs why waste time with the old "resistor trick"? After all, you might think it's a rip-off to pay someone £400 to rechip your turbo, but that's nothing compared to the rip-off of paying someone £40 for a 9p resistor..!

I call BS on the ebay resistor trick. Prove me wrong! :)

You'll never get increased mpg by running the engine with more fuel for the same mass of air - you'll just make larger clouds of black smoke!

D. R. Mat.

The ebay boxes do give a noticable power gain but itll keep putting the engine management light on and also bad MPG so Id avoid them. I fit PSI power boxs at work with no problems and excellent performance, but they arent cheap :(

What got me interested is that there's a company down here selling boxes at £380 fitted, that seem to be exactly the same thing as you can buy on ebay for £40 - http://www.dieselpowertuning.co.uk/

I've also spoken to a Custom Code dealer, that actually recomended a cheap box off ebay rather than spending a few hundred on a re-map, saying that they do effectively the same thing :eek:

My instinct is that it's ebay tat, but it's gotta be worth looking into before forking out on a remap

Nemesis, have you heard of or noticed any detrimental effects on cars other than engine managment lights coming on?

Ive had 2 golf's in that had cold start issues which were solved by removing the ebay boxes but ive not heard of any major mechanical issues.

I've done a bit more reading on these boxes, apparently the cheap ebay ones are just a resistor in a box, as said above - but there are digital boxes available at around the £150 mark that are worth having as a cheap alternative to a re-map, they dont just increase the ammount of fuel pushed through. Allthough to my mind once you've paid for a RR session on top of the £150 you may aswell go the extra £100 or so for a proper re-map.

I'll probably go for a re-map, as soon as i've paid for the bumper and rear lense to be repaired/replaced after Mrs W reversed into a wall the other day :roll:

i do remapping via obd port - you can then remap altering timing, fuel and air/boost.

those boxes are not a good idea as all they do is fool the ecu by altering the signal for air volume to overfuel the car - can cause long term damage, bore washing and black smoke.

i can sort you out with a proper map tho ;-)

those boxes are not a good idea as all they do is fool the ecu by altering the signal for air volume to overfuel the car - can cause long term damage, bore washing and black smoke.

Do you mean the cheap (£40) ebay ones or the more expensive digital ones? (or both? :lol:)

I've decided against using one anyway and will be going for a remap instead at some point

I truly believe you get what you pay for in these situations. It's the same reason I paid £400 for the remap on my Leon.