Sign in to follow this  
PRANA666

G60 CHARGER/WATERPUMP REMOVAL/REBUILD

HI,

I have just discovered that the water pump on my G60 is knackered , I suspect the head gasket is gone too.....will have to investigate that further.

This has happened at the same time as me needing to get the charger rebuilt. The car is completely standard down to the last detail and I want it to stay that way. It has been recommended that I send my charger to either Jabba sport or G-WERKS for a standard rebuild. As I am relatively new to the VW scene I do not know which to go with, please help.

Also are there any guides illustrating how to remove the charger/water pump? Please can you point me in their direction. I do not want to dive in without some sort of manual as I am not too familiar with the engine yet.

A water pump from GSF is £28, water pump from VW is £35 if I give them my old unit or £80 something if i do not. Which would you go with?

Thanks

VAG and gwerks is the way to go, could even get them to look over the car if you drive it down there, make sure there are no more gremlins lurking under the bonnet.

Yep, as above I'd get the car shipped down to G-werks if posible, chances are if it's not had a charger rebuild or waterpump yet then there will be a whole load of other bits that need urgent attention.

Only use a genuine VW waterpump!

Thanks guys,

The car has done 150,000 miles. I have practiacally a full service history but there is nothing to say the charger has EVER been rebuilt so defo sending that to GWERKS by the looks of things.

I am looking to replace the water pump myself and take out the charger myself, do you know where i can get some information how to do this?

I have already replaced the radiator, heater matrix (which was not even broken gutted!!!) and the valves which open to allow the hotwater into the heater matrix and back into the engine. Everything else seems to be fine,- would there be anything else effected by the water pump/charger situation. Need to fix/replace the spoiler module as the spolier has been in one postion since i bought the car and a few cosmetic things - sunroof only goes in one direction, paint work etc.

I am going to check the compression to ensure the head gasket is not gone but i fear it may be and change the cam belt.

Sorry to go off in various directions but hopefully you have got the gist of what I'm asking. Thanks again for any advice

definetly go with the VAG water pump, I did mine a couple of months ago and lets face it that will probably out last the car now

Thanks,

the weekend is rapidly approaching and no one has mentioned where I might find information on how to remove the charger and water pump.

Obviously I can get stuck in and do it without proper instructions but I would prefer to do it correctly.

Can anyone HELP!!!!!!

Thanks again

You just keep disconnecting things until they com free.

No exotic tools needed etc.

its just bolts screws and nuts.

rough guide..

remove air intake system.

remove tensioner system and ribbed belt.

remove boost return and silencer.

carefully remove charger braided oil line.

undo charger bolts and bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt.

Once your charger is off the w/pump should be easy.

use a good fit spline on your allen bolts to avoid rounding.

:salute:

Dirtytorque

you are a star. Hopefully a little information is going to take me a long way.

Will let you know how i get on

regards

Dirtytorque

you are a star. Hopefully a little information is going to take me a long way.

Will let you know how i get on

regards

just post/pm if you get stuck. :thumb right:

Oh btw,getting the tensioner back on is not easy.

I stand on a tyre to get better leverage (only 5'7)and lean down on it screaming all sorts of obscenities until i get it compressed.

How much do you weigh.

It helps if you are a bit portly.

Or a roid monkey and or a bit crazy.

Or you could see if VW will sell you the proper tool.

Don't hold your breath for that though.

hi,

other cars stopped me from starting on charger

it is now loose but i cant get it out, do i have to take the puller off the charger or the bracket off the back?

I went on thematey matey website and he just takes it out.

http://www.matey-matey.com/g60-rebuild-article.shtml

please help i am in my garage on my lap top, the bracket at the back is an absolute pain in the ar*e