wheel off,

Caliper off / strung up to coil spring,

disc off / swap to other hub,

Track control arm off,

2 x suspension to hub bolts off,

Driveshaft out,

LBJ out,

Swap hubs?

This wheel bearing is getting awful now, a lot noisier at lower speeds so I'm hoping I can just sling a spare Toad hub on before I get round to swapping out all the subframe.

thats pretty much everything, if you have abs you will need to unclip the abs wiring also.

No ABS to worry about thanks, it's an early :salute:

I might give that a go in the morning then. Can't believe I've had the car 4 months and it hasn't even been in the air yet :shock:

Give all the nuts a good soaking in Plusgas / WD40 overnight to make it a bit easer to remove them tomorrow. As some of them can be a right bugger to get out, especially the retaining nut + bolt on the balljoint.

Sorry to dig this up again, but i read in another post that it could be one of my tyres making the noise and not the bearing?

What are the symptoms of each?

Currently there is no noise until about 30mph, then a very vague wob wob (but quite muted) up to about 40mph and then past that it kinda dies down as road speed increases?

I would have thought a bearing would have got louder, but then again if it's spinning faster maybe I just can't hear it as much.

I'll sling the new bearing in regardless... but I would not be at all surprised if it is something else going too.

Cheers :salute:

Could indeed be the tyre. Like you say, if it's the bearing I'd expect it to just get worse as speed increases. Oh and if you take the hub carrier off the strut, you'll need to reset the camber afterwards.

Might be worth swapping the wheels front-back to see if that fixes it first?

Wheel bearings can make all sorts of wonderful noises. When my piece of sh!t GSF bearings started to fail after a year (actually they started making noises after 2 months.. but anyway) I got a sort of rubber squeak noise which increased with wheel rotation speed. Cured when I got new VW bearings fitted.

As the good doctor says, swap wheels front and back - rules tyres out.

:salute: :salute: Cheers guys. Never had the rear wheels off, so will have a nosey at the same time.

I guess swapping them diagonally is a given? Although then if they're directionals they'll be spinning th wrong way.... I'll have a look.