Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Adjusting Coilovers

Hi all,

I've just purchased a set of coilovers - V-maxx ones. I know they're probably not the best ones out there, course not. But i'll give them a whirl until i can afford £700 for a set of weitecs. My possibly silly question is, how do you adjust them?

You've got the top mount then a very short spring which is sitting on a adjust able plate. Then theres a bigger spring with 2 plates one sat below the other. I'm gathering i adjust the bottom plate getting at the height i want, then adjust the one sat on top of it down to the lower one - wrong/right? Whats he top plate for though?

loosen the bottom platform. adjust the one closest to the spring and when at desired height adjust the bottom one to the higher one. nip it tight

loosen the bottom platform. adjust the one closest to the spring and when at desired height adjust the bottom one to the higher one. nip it tight

Cheers Furkz!

What's the highest adjustable plate for?

Another stupid question, do i still need to use the rubber top mounts and top plates?

The higher or top one of the 2 rings is so that the 2 rings lock together (turn one left one right at the same time) to retain the level of the spring you set it at, dont forget also that when you adjust a coilover on the nearside, whatever way it turns to lower or raise it, it will be the opposite direction for the lower or raise on the other side! unless you have solid mounts YES you need to use the same top mounts the standard car cam with, (best to get new ones if you can though)

the small springs are just helper springs that keep the springs in their seats when cornering or under acceleration lift, or even when you jack the car up, its an mot failure to have loose springs or springs that drop out of the spring caps :grin:

The higher or top one of the 2 rings is so that the 2 rings lock together (turn one left one right at the same time) to retain the level of the spring you set it at, dont forget also that when you adjust a coilover on the nearside, whatever way it turns to lower or raise it, it will be the opposite direction for the lower or raise on the other side! unless you have solid mounts YES you need to use the same top mounts the standard car cam with, (best to get new ones if you can though)

the small springs are just helper springs that keep the springs in their seats when cornering or under acceleration lift, or even when you jack the car up, its an mot failure to have loose springs or springs that drop out of the spring caps :grin:

It was actually the plate that the small spring sits on that i was referring to. But im guess going by your answer that its just for the small spring to sit on. Cheers for that Aqua. I didnt know about the reverse thread.

Cheers!

Another question -

How do i find out what the drop is? I've read some where before about measuring the length of the thread on the damper, or something. Can anyone explain?

Also a really lame question - Would i wind the adjustable spring plates up to raise the car and wind the springs down to lower the car? Or would raising the plate, shorten the spring thus making the car sit lower and vise versa?

can anyone explain?

winding up the adjustment plates raises the car, down lowers! :wink:

Easiest way to measure the total drop is to get a reference distance from the wheel centre to the top of the arch before fitting the coilovers.

winding up the adjustment plates raises the car, down lowers! :wink:

Easiest way to measure the total drop is to get a reference distance from the wheel centre to the top of the arch before fitting the coilovers.

Sorry that may have sounded like a daft question :lol: Cheers Dec.

Whats the standard ride height of a 93 VR from wheel centre to wheel arch centre?