Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

mk 4 calipers conversion

Ime just after a bit of advice on converting rear calipers off a rado to ones off a mk4 golf , how easy is it and have many people done it we all know how tempremental rear calipers are for seizing up , only thing that failed mine on last m.o.t lack off effort on handbrake after a bit of wd40 and a bit of tinkering sailed through but sometimes ive parked on steep hills and noticed movement . Is it a good upgrade and how easy is it any advice is appreciated ?

Its a good straightforward upgrade. Not had any trouble with mine at all. Remember the you'll need the braided hoses, available from C and R.

AFAIK, you can't buy them outright so you'll need to look for a 2nd hand pair. £100+ I'd think but worth checking it out.

breakers up near me quoted £50 for a pair of callipers (german recycled on the a5 near leighton buzzard) if that helps?

I got a couple of new ones off eBay for about 40 quid each, I think they might have been reconditioned in reality, but effectively new.

Just had a look and if you're quick, here's one for you...

breakers up near me quoted £50 for a pair of callipers (german recycled on the a5 near leighton buzzard) if that helps?
A breakers is the way to go, I picked up a set for £40 as that's all I had on me and then I sold by old calipers on the Bay for just over £60. Result :D

C&R will sell you brand spanky new ones, but if you've got the time, you might as well buy some junky ones off a scrapper Mk4 and rebuild them yourself.

Get yourself a new nipple, calliper repair kit, new pin boots, a wire brush and some calliper paint or Smoothrite.

Far cheaper and just as good end result :)

Just won a set on ebay £35 & £7.50 postage off a gti tdi 330247952758 should be sound after a good clean . is there any threads on people that have done this as ime a bit of a novice atm but i get there eventualy .

im reviving old threads to try and find answers :lol:

can i just change the rear calipers on my VR6 for Mk4 golf ones or do they require additional work. is it just a matter of unbolt and bolt new ones on?

i made a whole thread about this, with part numbers, photos and prices.

buying them new from VW costs something like £180 iirc

you need different rear hoses

they bolt onto the standard carrier and use the same slider bolts

I just got round to cleaning up my calipers and give them 3 coats of engine laquer .So thats another job to the list got a 4-branch to put on some audi 80 door handles aswell as some suspension & inbetween all that ime prepping it for some paint ........ HPIM0872.JPG[/attachment:zbzfubxq]