Sign in to follow this  
zak

what happens if the starter motor bush is missing?

As the title if you try to turn over an engine when the starter motor bush is missing what happens? I changed the starter motor on my vr6 a few days a go and yesterday when i was trying to turn the engine over it started making a grinding noise. Then after a few attempts the engine would not turn over at all, the solenoid would click but not engage or spin. I removed the starter motor today and i cannot see the bush inside the gearbox casing.

Would the fact that its missing have caused the grinding noise? the flywheel or the teeth on the starter did not look damaged! If i fit a new bush should this resolve the problem?

if the bush is missing then there will be nothing to support it while it meshes with the flywheel,yeas it will sound like a bag of hammers ! you not having a good time are you mate :lol:

lol these things all happen at once just when i was looking forward to driving the car. I swear i heard what sounded like a starter motor bush rattle inside the casing. Will this cause any damage?

i couldnt see it in the casing and then i tried to tap in a new one but that cracked so i have to get another tommorow,

the bush was definately missing, ive just tapped a new one in today. Once the starter was refitted the solenoid would click but would not turn the engine over. It sounded like the starter meshed with the flywheel but something was jammed and not allowing it to spin. after a few attempts the engine turned over and started so im pretty sure the old bush was in there somewhere, problems solved now starter turns the engine over perfectly with no noise funny noises :)