Sign in to follow this  
robmajestix

strange noise from engine,timing chains?

My 95 corrado vr6 has recently started to produce a fairly high pitch metallic sound from the engine... it does this the whole time whilst driving/idling... when i had the bonnet up it seemed to originate from the far left side...(where i guess the chains are?) apologies for my poor mechanical knowledge!

its done 130k and i dont know if the chains were done...worse case scenario how much would it cost to get it fixed?

ANY suggestions welcomed!

Rob

Nope, not the chains at all. The chains are on the RIGHT, and don't make a high pitched squeal ever ..

Sounds to me like you need a new aux belt tensioner pulley. Extortionately expensive for what it is, but we're talking £60 instead of £700.

As above!

Had the same problem... could just be the belt (£12 for a Continental)... which I found out after changing the tensioner (at £70) and the water pump (at £30)!

Doesn't sound like chains in the slightest.

Loosen off the tension a bit and see if the noise goes away or changes any, that should tell you if it's the tensioner or something related. Otherwise could be a tappet?

Sorry been away on holiday cheers for ure help!

thanks alot for ure help (except matey at the top...yeah chains have been done alot...but it didnt answer my question..thanks anyway tho....)

im pretty rubbish with engines at the moment (still learning)... got a coolant leak that needs seeing to so ill get that done whilst im there!

again cheers!

As above, the tensioner pulley bearing will most likely be what's squealing - if not, then could be the water pump.

You can cut the bearing out of the plastic pulley and press in a new bearing (there's a wiki article on how to do it), or Gruvenparts make aluminium ones that are a bit stronger instead. http://gruvenparts.com/website/cart/car ... gory_id=60

Mind you, it'll probably be just as cheap to buy a new tensioner from vwspares by the time you've shipped a single pulley across from the USA.

(except matey at the top...yeah chains have been done alot...but it didnt answer my question..thanks anyway tho....)

Just my two pence,everything that will or has gone wrong will have been done many times over and over again on this forum,the search will be your most usefull tool

Sorry been away on holiday cheers for ure help!

thanks alot for ure help (except matey at the top...yeah chains have been done alot...but it didnt answer my question..thanks anyway tho....)

im pretty rubbish with engines at the moment (still learning)... got a coolant leak that needs seeing to so ill get that done whilst im there!

again cheers!

mmm coolant leak and a noise is the leak on the left by any chance , water pump ?

cheers once again.(sorry for sounding arsey corradovr6 n.o.s)

seems it was the aux belt, which decided to go on the way to the garage leaving me with no powersteering ABS, etc...was an epic battle to take any corners let alone park up!

So I guess you've now got a new belt, but is it now quiet, or still making some noise?

The belts don't usually squeal and snap for no reason, so it could well be that the water pump and/or tensioner still need seeing to...

hey mate, no im about to order one online as we speak... yeah i guess its probs the tensioner... if so (im really crap with engines) would i be able to fit the belt myself and get the car 4-5miles or so to my trusty garage to get them to fit a new tensioner? what ya reckon could a new belt survive a short journey if the tensioner is a bit shot?

You need the right size bolt to release the tensioner with (not sure what it is off the top of my head, but it should come up on searches).

Changing the belt is a doddle otherwise, and once the belt is off, the tensioner is also a doddle too, so you should be ok doing that at home.

The water pump can be a bit of a git though, so probably best to get a garage to do that one. The new belt should be ok for a quick and gentle drive to the garage, but it really depends on how bad it is. If the pulley on the pump has ceased solid, then it'll shred a new belt almost instantly.

Best to just check all of the pulleys are still able to turn (apart from the big crank one which will only turn when the engine turns) before you fit the new belt...

cheers mate!

last question (hopefully for you!)

just looking on german swedish car parts...they seem to list it as a 'ribbed belt' that sound right? vw spares have it under the name im familiar with 'drive belt'...but they want £13 more for it (£22)! cheeky gits....if not any better places u can think of?

once again, thanks!

cheers mate!

last question (hopefully for you!)

just looking on german swedish car parts...they seem to list it as a 'ribbed belt' that sound right? vw spares have it under the name im familiar with 'drive belt'...but they want £13 more for it (£22)! cheeky gits....if not any better places u can think of?

once again, thanks!

got mine from Euro Car Parts... was £12 and a Continental belt. hope that helps