Sign in to follow this  
redwoodkp

VW prices expensive advice needed!!

Rang my local veedub up today for a couple of prices and i know there always quite expensive but think this time they're wanting me arm aswell!! Prices as below with aftermarket in brackets:

Cam Belt £25 + VAT (£8.99+VAT)

Cam Belt Tensioner £30.83 + VAT (£16+VAT)

Alternator Belt £5.55 + VAT (£1.99+VAT

Not that bothered about the alt belt will prob just put an aftermarket one in but after reading threads on here genuine cam belt and tensioner is highly recommended. So can anyone shed some light on what i should be paying from the dealers and if these prices are not actually that bad.

Thanks in advance

Kieran

Those do look like they're standard VAG prices, however if you're a member of the CCGB you can get a trade account with TPS and have Parts Club prices on things.

That then makes your list cost as follows (Parts Club prices in brackets):

Cam Belt £25 + VAT (£16.10+VAT)

Cam Belt Tensioner £30.83 + VAT (£19.91+VAT)

Alternator Belt £5.55 + VAT (£3.05+VAT)

So it's a bit more expensive than aftermarket, but you're then getting pukka VAG parts...

Rang my local veedub up today for a couple of prices and i know there always quite expensive but think this time they're wanting me arm aswell!! Prices as below with aftermarket in brackets:

Cam Belt £25 + VAT (£8.99+VAT)

Cam Belt Tensioner £30.83 + VAT (£16+VAT)

Alternator Belt £5.55 + VAT (£1.99+VAT

Not that bothered about the alt belt will prob just put an aftermarket one in but after reading threads on here genuine cam belt and tensioner is highly recommended. So can anyone shed some light on what i should be paying from the dealers and if these prices are not actually that bad.

Thanks in advance

Kieran

Doesn't sound too expensive to me? It's the labour that'll make up the bulk of the job unless you're doing it yourself

VW do a "cam belt kit" (belt and tensioner) i bought one for my G60 few weeks ago it was £28

You won't be buying those parts for another 50 odd thousand miles either...

VW do a "cam belt kit" (belt and tensioner) i bought one for my G60 few weeks ago it was £28

The kits aren't for the 1.8 16v though (or they're not on the Parts Club price list if they do) - maybe it's a different setup?

The kits aren't for the 1.8 16v though (or they're not on the Parts Club price list if they do) - maybe it's a different setup?

Dunno if they do them for a valver :shrug: tensioners and belts are all pretty similar, even if they dont do a kit for the 16v for the sake of a few £ i wouldnt use non genuine ones