Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Another VR issue...

Well this car is trying my patience.

I bought a generic Stealth remapped chip and fitted it last night. I swapped chips on the car before and never had any issues. It has the right code etc on it however the car would not fire, it was as if there was no spark.

I swapped the chips over again and the car started fine (if a little smokey). A friend came round so I switched the engine of and spoke to him for half an hour. Was going to take the car for a wash but when I turned the ingition on (not to engage starter) I heard some extra clicking form the relay's and the car backfired!!!! When I tried to start the engine it just turned over the same as when the Stealth chip was put in.

Pulled the plugs and they were wet so left it for a couple of hours and it did the same.

I'll be honest and say I dont have a great knowledge of the igntion on these things. Any ideas? Does it sound like I may have corrupted the ECU when changing chips? Its still got the factory alarm/immobiliser fitted.

You can't corrupt the ECU - the only part that's programmable is the chip itself.

You may well have fried something though - it's very easy to cause a static discharge that can kill a circuit board (or the chip itself).

First step is plug in VAGCOM. If you can still talk to the ECU then chances are it's *probably* ok. Ask it what the problem is if you can.