Sign in to follow this  
vw domo

anyone know what this is?

was looking round my air box for loose pipes and found that there was a connection but no pipe?

don't remember there being a pipe there before :scratch:

could be a solution to my bad idle.

does anyone know where this connects to or if it is plugged or just left open like that? :shrug:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture 145.1.JPG[/attachment:1hsx57ox]

Picture 146.1.JPG[/attachment:1hsx57ox]

Thats a big airleak with the pipe disconnected! shoiuld go onto bottom of plastic induction tube i think?

thats what i thought but couldn't see anything when i looked, surly it cant just be left open like that?

heres a pic anyway could someone confirm where it should connect.

have a quick peek in there engine bay maybe :wink: would be most greatfull :D

Picture 147.jpg[/attachment:1hbg32jf]

has someone in the past changed the induction plastic pipe and fitted 1 with only 1 port instead of 2? it normally goes on a "shut off" valve that goes into airbox

you mean right up by the throttle? theres two little hoses that connect there.

it sits above panel air filter so it will make a difference to the vacuum.

has someone in the past changed the induction plastic pipe and fitted 1 with only 1 port instead of 2? it normally goes on a "shut off" valve that goes into airbox

not to my knowledge but thats the way it looks, its always ran a bit lumpy since iv had it so this might be the course.

thanks for the help

will see what vw have to say.

Isnt that where hot air feed from the exaust manifold comes from to help the car warm up quicker? Theres a valve that closes once it gets to a certain temp. Wont make a big difference if its disconnected.

Isnt that where hot air feed from the exaust manifold comes from to help the car warm up quicker? Theres a valve that closes once it gets to a certain temp. Wont make a big difference if its disconnected.

that valves in the lower part of the airbox. If you had that air leak on a KR (1.8) the car would NOT idle. Period. Mine was missing a little pipe from that stub to the main air intake and it would rev up fine, but would not idle at all. Looks like 9a's don't have that problem!

that valves in the lower part of the air box. If you had that air leak on a KR (1.8) the car would NOT idle. Period. Mine was missing a little pipe from that stub to the main air intake and it would rev up fine, but would not idle at all. Looks like 9a's don't have that problem!

The hot air feed is about a 50mm port, this one is about 20mm and its on the top section so must be the link to the large intake hose like everyone is suggesting.

if i take any other pipe off it runs like a bag of s**t so i don't see why this one should be any exception. its guaranteed to be mega bucks from vw tho so might fabricate the connection, just wanted to be absolutely sure thats what it was.

Just to re-iterate what has already been said.

It is the feed for a pipe that provides warmer air on start-up to the underside of the air filter, it should bolt onto a shield on the back of the exhaust manifold but it is likely that has rotted away. You dont really need it in this country and not running it will have no adverse effects on the car.

If you look inside the airbox bottom half you should see a flap that seals this tube, the flap is vacuum activated by the round 'doughnut' on the side of the airbox.

Ita NOT the warm feed for airbox. Just block it up. Im guessing still that someone has used a mixture of 1.8 bits on the 2l metehead either top plate or airbox.

You could always remove airbox and take a pic for us to be completely certain

na, its not the hot air feed,

took out the airbox to take some pics and found this:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfPicture 151.jpg[/attachment:1mofun4m]

and thought "oh i wonder if this could plug it" and it fits perfectly so there you go,

i guess some models are plugged for some reason :shrug:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfPicture 150.jpg[/attachment:1mofun4m]

Picture 152.jpg[/attachment:1mofun4m]

case closed :clap: im hoping it runs a bit better now.

thanks for the input fellas.