Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Best coilies for

Firstly, i know there is a 'suspension' thread, but searching through 30 odd pages will take forever to get my answer.

Basically i need some coilies sharpish, my rear suspension is dead so everything needs replacing. I've already bought new nuts and bolts etc from VW, so just need to choose me some coilies now. The car will be sat on 16x8 rims with an offset of 16, so it wont be massively dropped, but still needs to look impressive.

So, any suggestions for my budget?

weitc GTN

300-330

Got them on mine and seem really good, not a true coilover on the back but still adjustable, fully height adj on the front.

Think mine is now down about 50/60mm.

Call weitc/kw and let them explain the set up :)

The lowering 'notches' on the rear is putting me off a little to be honest, for £300 i think im gonna go with the Vmaxx ones, red too which is a nice bonus.

Dont buy cheap .....you will be replacing them before you know it ! :ignore: you may aswell throw your money down the toilet. IMO. :norty:

stu

Ive ordered some Vmaxx ones, heard nothing but good things about them and they look the part. Plus they come with a 2yr warranty, so £300 for 2yrs of happy lowerage is fine by me!

Dont buy cheap .....you will be replacing them before you know it ! :ignore: you may aswell throw your money down the toilet. IMO. :norty:

stu

I'm gonna be the party pooper and say the same... suspension really is one of those areas where you get what you pay for...

Thats as maybe but some folks just don't have the kind of budget that some folks on here do. I've been to a other forums where stuff like KW's aren't even on the radar as they're just out of reach financially for some folks - and there seem to be plenty of happy people out there running this sort of kit.

Worth a punt I reckon - as you say skinnyman, 2 years warranty is enough for two years of a lowered motor - and after then if you're feeling a bit more flush (or even still have your Corrado!) you can re-evaluate them if they're falling apart!

Ive ordered some Vmaxx ones, heard nothing but good things about them and they look the part. Plus they come with a 2yr warranty, so £300 for 2yrs of happy lowerage is fine by me!

cheap + 2 year warranty! im using these at the mo and they are real value for money. i think they ride really well. afew of my friends have these on mk2 golfs and there still pretty damn stiff after 2 years of abuse, they havent become sloppy.

good luck with them

just ordered some ap coilovers from venom for the passat, had rave reviews recently and £315 delivered... fully height adjustable front a rear, cant imagine the corrado kit'd be much difference price wise, they do a passat 35i kit which is the same year as the corrado rear passat frame i thought... maybe try them?

Skinnymann, i've just bought a set of V-Maxx coilies. They DO look the part, as for the ride quality i wish i could help you. But i've no other coilovers to compare them to other then OEM suspension and FK shocks/springs. Again i only heard good things about them, they do seem harsh especially on some of the more in desperate need for a resurface roads, but what coilovers arent a little more on the harsh side... or so i've read on here. For £300-£400 i dont think you can go wrong. I agree, id loved to have spent more on some coilovers but as Jim said its not always an option, well not yet anyway. I'm using the V-Maxx as a very reasonable stepping stone towards some kw's or Weitech's.

I'd be grateful, once you've fitted them, if you could update this thread and let me/others know what you think of them. :D

I simply could not afford to spend much more, i looked at the suspension thread and it was full of people opting for £1200-£1500 KW's, i just dont have that kind of cash!! and lets face it, if i could pull £1200 from out my arse i wouldnt be driving a valver!

I considered the AP ones too, but i'd heard more about the Vmaxx ones so i opted for them. I'll definately still have the rado in two years, its put me through and cost me too much for me to part with it, its gotten to the point where if i did want another car the rado would be taken off the road for an overhaul and used as a second car, i dont think i could physically sell it. How sad :lol:

if i could pull £1200 from out my arse i wouldnt be driving a valver!

I don't think i'd be driving a Corrado if I could just summon that kind of cash in a heartbeat, let alone a valver! :)

I don't think i'd be driving a Corrado if I could just summon that kind of cash in a heartbeat, let alone a valver! :)

Here, Here.

But you dont need £1200 for KW`s :nono: I flogged a load of stuff i didnt want/didnt like anymore :lol: and raised £650 in 2 weeks! i even got an email about money laundering from paypal :lol:

Anyway, whats been said is quite right, you can get a good suspension kit for £300.........but you can get a far better made one of much higher quality that will last 3 times as long for a few hundred quid more (i paid £570 for KW V1s at G-werks)

In my eyes tyres and suspension are 2 of the most vital safety things on a car, next to brakes and steering :grin: , if you buy cheap or compromise then you either suffer problems or pay the consequences for what is effectively de valueing your car and making it worse than when it was on standard shocks and springs!

I have had my G60 since Feb and have put up with the standard ride height since then! i am glad i did that, than rush in and buy a cheap kit in the name of just lowering it, the way i see it, if your doing the job properly then you need to replace bolts, top mounts etc at the same time and have the car properly 4 wheel aligned (by VW preferably) to make it a worth while process and just do it the once!

I know people have different budgets, but with a bit of patience and saving you can just do a job once and save all the agro that inevitably comes later with cheaper stuff which ends up doing the job twice and costing you what you would have originally spent in the first place had you bought quality!!!!!!!!!

In my younger days i have been there and done that with mk1s and my Rallye, and ended up not necessarily out of pocket, but a whole lot wiser!

No, but I imagine your bum would get pretty sore...

See if you can get a ride in a couple of cars with different setups, what some people think is acceptable isn't what others do, might convince you to save a few hundred more.

Ive purchased all new suspension bolts and top mounts, so thats taken care of, and it'll definately have the tracking done once they're on.