Sign in to follow this  
corrado_sunderland

G60 whistle during rev build up and ecu removal

Since ive fitted the boost delete mod to my rado ive noticed upon revs rising the same whistle noise i get upon dipping the clutch when not at full boost, is this normal as my car runs a a 68mm pulley and stage 4 charger and only runs 10psi boost which i thought was low, boost leak? I also want to open the ecu up and check the stage 4 SNS chip is present before i add the cam and 65mm pulley this week but i removed the one screw and it wouldnt come out :confused4: , anywa any help apreciated as im not going to fit the new parts till i kno the cars all ready for them, and the low boost worries me

regards mick :confused4:

Do you still have the black plastic box on the output of the charger? It is common for the seal in the middle of these to fail and cause a boost leak which is a high pitch squeak.

10psi is low for a fresh charger unless you have a flowed head, and would indicate a leak.

The boost return itself makes a whistling noise, when on part throttle - definately not that?

Does the car tick over ok. As I had a similar problem with a boost leak which caused a whistle. But when warm my idle speed would fluctuate. It turned out that the idle screw had come out of the throttle body and the boost was escaping from there.

does the whistle disappear when on WOT? if so it's probably the air passing by the return butterfly in the throttle body, if not then maybe a leak somewhere

the car has also went completely insane this week and is drinking a tenner in like 30 mile, i thikn this must be due to the face the lamda is disconected :sad: me credit card maxed out of puttin petrol in while ive been off work for hols :shrug:

what ya mean by black box on output? it has an rsr outlet port does this replace what your refering too?

regards mick

Yes it does replace the black box Mick, so it's definately not that :?

what was in yuor boost return kit?

1) one larger filter and a blanking plate

2) two small filters and one larger filter and a blanking plate

3) one small filter, one larger filter and a blanking plate with a small pipe

if you can please take some pictures of the engine bay, also was it just the boost return mod that you fitted and then it started doing this? you also mention disconnection the lambda, have you noticed popping from the exhaust on overrun? take the spark plugs out and have a look to see if it is running rich if it is plug the lambda back in

sorry to hijack the thread but any popping on over run would that indicate rich mixture?

I dont run a lambda so would this be making the fuel rich, mind u it has become less common since i had one of Gwerks chips as opposed to the mental BBR chip i had in there

measuring boost is a hard task are you measuring with a calibrated gauge using the vw training video or just looking at the boost guage youve fitted on piller mount as you drive down the road ?

also at what revs ?

mine got a 68mm pully sns chip and stage 4 charger (jabba) and i see 10psi commonly all the time spirted driving on my auto gauge meter ive know the charger can do 14psi -13psi as its been staged4 but the only time ive really seen it is on a rolling road in 3rd gear with the revs reading 6000rpm doing a power run

so only 10psi may not be the true max reading for that charger

help it eases your mind

the car has also went completely insane this week and is drinking a tenner in like 30 mile, i thikn this must be due to the face the lamda is disconected :sad: me credit card maxed out of puttin petrol in while ive been off work for hols :shrug:

I Had the same problem i was told it was due to the fact that my C was running safe mode which means its throwing fuel into the engine to stop it from knocking, vince at stelth sorted mine.

Check to make sure all your sensors are working i.e maff sensor knock sensor all your temp senders are working ok and check the vac hose to the ECU as well.

hope this helps mate.

p.s most stage 4 chargers whistle on idel and during rev build up when the boost return is removed, its just the unused air passing the butterfly valve. nothing to worrie about both my Corrado and my mates Rallye do it and we are both running stage 4 jabba chargers.

if its annoying you put your boost return back on :lol:

Deano.

its dosnt bother me at all i was just reall disapointed when my friends 172 kept up with me :cuckoo: , its totally imacualte and on done about 20k but it stupidly fast it really annoys me, least ive got the cam and 65mm pulley to add on :clap: shud turn the 172 smile upside down then haha

I was told that all senders and sensors need to be working, or the car runs in safe mode.

just what i was told, so maybe it is because your running with out a lamda sensor.

Well i hope you get it sorted mate.

bit of an update, the car seems to be generating 9.8 psi ish at most driving times, upon different occasions the car will produce 13 even 14 psi at random at high revs, a large majority of the time it does not and sits near 10psi (sometimes just over or under), my friend seems to think this is due to expansion of the charger due to under bonnet heat or the inadequate standard intercooler. the car in after 3rd gear seems to hit a flat spot at 4500 / 5000rpm ish, wer not talkin a drastic stop i can just feel the boost is no longer goin any more thus it seems to maitain a constant accelearion as oppose to the constant development through revs usually, I have a few questions relating to this to try and get the full boost

1) what could cause the car to all of a sudden just feel so mch quicker and run high boost, the other day a brisk drive and the car was much faster and more responsive and boosted high instantly upon throtle the whole drive, this was a hot day too so it not due to conditions,

2)Th car has no lamda at present, however in a g60 its no meant to affect really as a lamda merely spots bad petrol apparently :confused4: could this affect

3) The car is stage 4 however according to g documentation the idle control valve dumps excess bosst bk into the inlet over 0.8bar will mine be doing this as standard or will the stage 4 chip stop this

regards michael

3) The car is stage 4 however according to g documentation the idle control valve dumps excess bosst bk into the inlet over 0.8bar will mine be doing this as standard or will the stage 4 chip stop this

on a standard g60 the ISV will open at 0.8bar and re-route the air back to the superchargers second inlet, as you have fitted a boost return mod the air from the ISV will go wherever your boost return re-route takes it, some re-circ it back to just before the throttle body, some just release it into the engine bay.

the reduced boost is generally down to heat soak on the g60's, mine is random as to when it will hit 15psi but it will hit 11psi at least every time, mine isn't ported at all though, so I am supprised that yours is only producing 13-14psi

don't worry, you don't have to take the pipes off to check for a boost leak, do a search on here or the knowledge base I think Darren from G-Werks has done a guide on checking for boost leak

Checked for leaks today but disconnecting the linkage and manually boosting pressure, found a leak on the little intake sensor ufortunately mine a stupid aftermarket metal section which it plugs into which seems impossible to find a grommit than blody fit it, and STILL it only hit 10 psi after :mad2: and still seems to stop increasing acceleration at 5000rpm, it got my head demented, what the hell is causing it to loose 4 psi on what is shud have :mad2:, i even shortened the reducer hose for the RSR as it was shagged, and still nothing,

i nearly took a run and kick at is today i so sick. no other pipes seemed to be leaking and i poured some foam over the sensor after i replaced the gromit and still looked like it wasnt leaking from top side at least. My charger is only a few month old and darren said it was good interanlly and well ported for a stage 4 so what the hell causing it :bad-words:

i totally fed up now and need help i tried a boost reading on the MFA menu tonite and it got a reading of 1510 which from what i can gather is rubbish :brickwall: i need this sorting asap i just cant think wha it can be :nono: and if got me goin mad