Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Bumper scrape - bought an orbital polisher. Help needed!

Cheers Andy. I just called up cleanyourcar.co.uk and ordered a Meg's 6.5 softbuff polishing pad and a 5" rotary backing plate. The guy that my Poorboys SSR2 would probably be OK. I've actually registered on DW so I'll have a look :)

Yeah he told me it can over heat the paint if you're not careful, so he does bumpers by hand. You can try it, but don't press too hard or leave pad in the same spot too long :D

Yeah thats true ... with a rotary which i use. And you can use them on bumpers, i just prefer not to because its much easier to burn the paintand i dont have a paint thickness guage.

A random orbital is fine though (with caution still obviously) as they dont generate as much heat in 1 small area so wont heat up the paint/plastic as quickly. That also mean that random orbitals take a lot longer on the metal panels to polish because polishing is all about generating heat to break down the polish :wink:

As with all machine polishers though, best to practise on a test panel first before attempting your own car and definately before doing anyone elses car.

Ah OK, I didn't know there were two types of polisher, LOL! :D

I thought Orbitals were an electronic dance band and a thing for sanding wood?

Ah OK, I didn't know there were two types of polisher, LOL! :D

I thought Orbitals were an electronic dance band and a thing for sanding wood?

Yeah the orbital sanders work on the same basis, some genius just thought up the idea of putting a sponge on the end basically and used it as a polisher :lol:

Diagram stolen from detailing world

PadMotion-1.jpg